Mint 21 Cinnamon workspaces-bug of fake windows

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dirkoir
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 21 Cinnamon workspaces-bug of fake windows

Post by Dirkoir »

Hello, gurus:

In Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon (freshly installed on a new laptop), every 1 or 2 weeks or so, open windows (like xed or Nemo windows) -- each opened by me in one of my four workspaces -- start showing up in other workspaces (all the other ones, I think), where any attempt of clicking on them or using alt-Tab or Panel clicks does NOT let me bring them on top of other windows or do anything with them. They are like hallucinations, like background images.

This then makes use of workspaces nearly impossible, since it becomes hard to remember on which workspace an application window one sees actually is located (the only workspace where it can actually be worked with). And on other workspaces where they are not opened, their mysterious appearance obscures or makes hard to find the ones that really ARE opened on those workspaces (even any still empty workspaces being clogged with these hallucinatory window presences to look non-empty).

The only reliably working repair I have discovered so far is to restart Linux Mint 21, which of course makes me lose my setup of all my openings of work files and programs, having to search them and start all over with them (the ones I can remember, others possibly forgotten, thus giving me trouble to come). The computer sadly becomes so hard to use that I am forced to the restart every time. *sigh*

(The great LM 17 never gave me this problem, and I THINK the not so often used by me 19 and 20, neither.)

If anybody knows how to fix this, I'd be happy to try it next time. Thanks a lot for any tips. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
______
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit | LM19 Cinnamon | LM20.1 MATE | LM20.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Cinnamon”