Video stutter only on cinammon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
s1eepless_
Level 1
Level 1

Video stutter only on cinammon

Post by s1eepless_ »

Hi! I'm running LM 21 cinammon with intel graphics. When I try to play two videos at the same time (2 monitor setup) in chrome (hardware accelaration enabled) both videos start to stutter/lag. I know is old hardware but windows doesn't have this problem, I tried everything to fix this but couldnt so figure is linux not having as well optimized drivers and lived with it.

To my suprise today installed a different DE, xfce and ubuntu and both videos played simultaneously just fine!!? Noticed intel_gpu_top shows up 20% usage just idling on cinammon but close to 0% on other DEs so I tested and killed cinnamon in task manager while the videos are playing and the stutter does stop!

Is cinammon causing this problem then!? too heavy? Using 20% of gpu idling cant be right, any thoughts?

Code: Select all

$ inxi -CG
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i5-4570 bits: 64 type: MCP cache:
    L2: 1024 KiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 3186 min/max: 800/3600 cores: 1: 3198 2: 3198 3: 3198
    4: 3152
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
    driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: intel gpu: i915
    resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 22.0.5
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Video stutter only on cinammon

Post by SMG »

s1eepless_ wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:35 pm Hi! I'm running LM 21 cinammon with intel graphics. When I try to play two videos at the same time (2 monitor setup) in chrome (hardware accelaration enabled)
Welcome to the forum, s1eepless_ .

Did you try it without the hardware acceleration enabled to see if that helped?
s1eepless_ wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:35 pmTo my suprise today installed a different DE, xfce and ubuntu and both videos played simultaneously just fine!!?
What does this mean that xfce and ubuntu were fine? Does this mean you installed xubuntu? Ubuntu is an operating system. It is not a desktop environment. Xfce is a desktop environment which runs on top of an operating system such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
s1eepless_ wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:35 pmNoticed intel_gpu_top shows up 20% usage just idling on cinammon but close to 0% on other DEs so I tested and killed cinnamon in task manager while the videos are playing and the stutter does stop!
So what were you running if you killed Cinnamon? :?

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon”