Can't setup applets in panel using settings

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnessett
Level 1
Level 1

Can't setup applets in panel using settings

Post by dnessett »

I am trying to setup some laptops (~20) for students in a Grade School (6th-8th grade). I want to pre-configure them because at least some of the students do not have the understanding to do that for themselves.

I am trying to replace the default browser (Firefox) with Chrome. I found an explanation how to do that here: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/751.

The suggested gsettings command is: gsettings set org.cinnamon panel-launchers "['chromium-browser.desktop','gnome-terminal.desktop', 'nautilus.desktop']"

This is an 11 year old post and instead of panel-launchers, the new key is enabled-applets. So, the modern command is:

gsettings set org.cinnamon enabled-applets "['chromium-browser.desktop','gnome-terminal.desktop', 'nautilus.desktop']"

I executed this command:

dnessett@MOLS-S68-00:~$ sudo gsettings get org.cinnamon enabled-applets
[sudo] password for dnessett:
['chromium-browser.desktop', 'gnome-terminal.desktop', 'nautilus.desktop']
dnessett@MOLS-S68-00:~$

However, the applets in the panel did not change (see screenshot attachment).

If anyone can explain why, I would appreciate it.

Added later: I am using Salt to configure the laptops. Therefore, using the GUI tool to delete and add applets to the panel is not an option.
Attachments
Applets in Panel.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't setup applets in panel using settings

Post by n0body_special »

In the link you provide, someone tells the author that the guide might be outdated. And that was 10 years ago.

Why would you even need gsettings? Just install chrome (chromium is a lot better IMO), right-click the firefox icon, select remove. Find chrome in the menu, right click on it, select "add to panel", done
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet
dnessett
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't setup applets in panel using settings

Post by dnessett »

Chrome is the browser installed on the laptops. However, as I stated, I need to manage 20 laptops and don't want to log in to each one to make changes. Furthermore, when a new user is added to the laptops, I would have to log in to each one and adjust the pinned apps for that user (each laptop can be used by any student).

I am using a distributed configuration management system known as Salt. Among other things, Salt allows the concurrent execution of commands on all managed systems. So, I am looking for a command that changes the pinned applications in the panel.

Return to “Cinnamon”