[Solved] Who is setting the "Alt+'" keyboard shortcut and how can I get it back?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gusbrs
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Who is setting the "Alt+'" keyboard shortcut and how can I get it back?

Post by gusbrs »

Hi All,

I'm interested in reclaiming the Alt+' (Alt + single quote) keyboard shortcut for my own purposes, and can't seem to be able to do so.

The environment here is Mint 21.1, Cinnamon, and a "pt_br" keyboard layout (which I mention, since I think the issue may be related to it).

Currently, typing Alt+' cycles through the open windows of the current application. The equivalent of "Alt+Tab", but restricted to the application. So I went to "Keyboard", "Shortcuts" and searched for it. I found the "Alt+Tab" and what was supposed to be what I was looking for in the "General" category, where we have "Cycle through open windows of the same application". However, it figures there as having no assigned shortcut.

I then opened the dconf Editor, and dug around until I found a likely culprit. Namely the path /org/gnome/desktop/wm/keybindings/switch-group. By default, it's value here is ['<Super>Above_Tab', '<Alt>Above_Tab']. And, as it happens on my keyboard (as mentioned above, a pt_br layout) has the single quote exactly above TAB.

So I deleted these bindings, but to no effect. Alt+' still cycles through windows of a given application.

How can I find out who is setting this keyboard shortcut and reclaim it for my own purposes?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Who is setting the "Alt+'" keyboard shortcut and how can I get it back?

Post by AZgl1800 »

install AutoKey and write your own shortcuts

AutoKey.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gusbrs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gusbrs »

Hi AZgl1800, thanks for the suggestion, but I want to unbind the key which is taken at the wm level, so that it is available to other programs (in my case, I want it available for Emacs). I don't see how overriding the wm binding with Autokey would allow me to do that, or am I missing something of what you have in mind?
gusbrs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gusbrs »

Answering myself, the path is /org/cinnamon/desktop/keybindings/wm/switch-group. Why it shows in Keyboard, Shortcuts, General, "Cycle through open windows of the same application" as "unassigned", I have no idea though.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [Solved] Who is setting the "Alt+'" keyboard shortcut and how can I get it back?

Post by all41 »

Gee topic marked as solved by this solution:
Answering myself, the path is /org/cinnamon/desktop/keybindings/wm/switch-group. Why it shows in Keyboard, Shortcuts, General, "Cycle through open windows of the same application" as "unassigned", I have no idea though
Still seems up in the air-ish
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
gusbrs
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Who is setting the "Alt+'" keyboard shortcut and how can I get it back?

Post by gusbrs »

Hi all41, indeed the OP says I searched in dconf Editor a similar gsettings path. With this one, I was able to remove the binding and regain the key for other uses. What more you'd you like me to include? I'll gladly do it, but there's not much more to it.

Return to “Cinnamon”