Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by truexfan81 »

now running mint12+cinnamon on my acer aoa150 netbook, so far no complaints, will have to play with it for awhile before i can provide any useful feedback

but so far i like it alot better than gnome-shell :mrgreen:

kelebek333
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelebek333 »

Thanks Linux Mint Dev. Team for Cinnamon.

My feedbacks;
An apps window not maximize again, after minimize to panel until click desktop.

Code: Select all

cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 1.1.2
Added to the shortcut's icons in the panel does not appear.
If you add an icon or border to all applications section, cinnamon-menu will be more beautiful.

My Cinnamon Desktop

lurkatron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lurkatron »

kelebek333 wrote:Thanks Linux Mint Dev. Team for Cinnamon.

My feedbacks;
An apps window not maximize again, after minimize to panel until click desktop.

Code: Select all

cinnamon --version
Cinnamon 1.1.2
Added to the shortcut's icons in the panel does not appear.
If you add an icon or border to all applications section, cinnamon-menu will be more beautiful.

My Cinnamon Desktop

compiz tray icon?

crzen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crzen »

@z06gal
. I found that if you goto /usr/share/cinnamon/theme and copy cinnamon.css, create a folder in usr/theme/ (I called mine "cinnamon dark/gnome-shell"), paste cinnamon.css in into it, then rename it to gnome-shell.css you can then modify the file to "reskin" the panel. You can then select it from the Overview --> Themes tab to enable it. I dont know if this is supposed to work this way, but it does. :D

macabu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macabu »

Great work, I'm going to use it as my main desktop.
But I got a question: how can I add icons to my menu bar?

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal »

crzen wrote:@z06gal
. I found that if you goto /usr/share/cinnamon/theme and copy cinnamon.css, create a folder in usr/theme/ (I called mine "cinnamon dark/gnome-shell"), paste cinnamon.css in into it, then rename it to gnome-shell.css you can then modify the file to "reskin" the panel. You can then select it from the Overview --> Themes tab to enable it. I dont know if this is supposed to work this way, but it does. :D

Thanks! I'll give that a try :wink:

cinnamint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cinnamint »

Last edited by cinnamint on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinnamint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cinnamint »

sprintcowboy wrote:Clem
This just keeps getting better.
We now have launchers on the panel and can even add more.
One thing i noticed is when you add a launcher to the panel it does not have the correct icon for it.
It also adds another launcher in the menu under other and if you uncheck it in the main menu editor it removes it from the menu and panel.
This may be irrelevant since you are working on dragging and droping launchers to the panel.

Thanks for allowing us to play with cinnamon.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 37#p501437
Last edited by cinnamint on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

cinnamint
Yes you can do that but you still end up with two icons of the same thing in the menu.
The panel icon ends up in the menu under Other.
I find it best to use dconf Editor than navigate to org/cinnamon and add your launcher there.
This way you get your icon and no duplicate menu entry.
You can even add to you favorites on your menu.
Thanks for your help though, appreciate it.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

I just got my first look at Cinnamon today, and even from a virtual machine, it is easy to see that this is what gnome3 should have been from the start. It would have prevented all sorts of weeping and wailing :lol: .

I wouldn't say it is exactly what I want, I happen to like the gnome-shell 'Dash' and 'Search' in overview mode with the list of favourites in it (frees up a lot of panel space), and if it were me I would replace the panel 'menu' button with that option instead. However we all like different things and one of the stated options of the Cinnamon project is to make it as configurable as possible with proper configuration tools rather than extensions like gnome-shell is now (I read that quote from Clem yesterday and I can't find it now - typical isn't it :? ) That can only be to the benefit of the project, because such tools will be maintained by the Cinnamon developers and so should not be obsoleted by newer versions of the desktop environment - and that is precisely what is going to happen with gnome-shell extensions (it already has in some cases).

To those of you who are saying "It doesn't do this" "It doesn't do that". Give the man a break! I don't know for sure but what Cinnamon's classification is at the present time, but if it is even a high as 'beta' I would be surprised. It is considerably newer than gnome-shell, yet already considerably better so give it a while and it will evolve into something really good, just be patient.

When I have finished playing around with virtual machines I usually delete them, but I have a feeling I will be keeping this one around for quite a while. I can't wait for it to be ported to LMDE which is my main disto but having already tried to put it there myself, I know the list of missing dependencies is as long as your arm unless you are tracking Sid. If Cinnamon had been the default desktop on Mint 12 then that would be on my hard drive right now instead of Fedora. Nothing wrong with Fedora you understand, it is a class act in its own right, but it doesn't have Cinnamon :D
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

@viking777:
However we all like different things and one of the stated options of the Cinnamon project is to make it as configurable as possible with proper configuration tools rather than extensions like gnome-shell is now (I read that quote from Clem yesterday and I can't find it now - typical isn't it :? )
Is it this quote from Clem you were looking for:
The user experience the Gnome team is trying to create isn't the one we're interested in providing to our users. There are core features and components we absolutely need, and because they're not there in Gnome Shell, we had to add them using extensions with MGSE. The extension system in Gnome Shell is handy but core parts of a desktop need to be able to communicate with each others and be integrated properly. The Gnome development team is not interested in the features we implemented, it's opposed to adding them to Gnome Shell, and it doesn't share our vision of a desktop. In other words, our work on Gnome 3 does not influence the development of Gnome Shell, Gnome Shell isn't going in a direction that is suitable for us, and we're not interested in shipping Gnome Shell "as is", or in continuing with multiple hacks and extensions.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

cinnamint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cinnamint »

sprintcowboy wrote:cinnamint
Yes you can do that but you still end up with two icons of the same thing in the menu.
The panel icon ends up in the menu under Other.
I find it best to use dconf Editor than navigate to org/cinnamon and add your launcher there.
This way you get your icon and no duplicate menu entry.
You can even add to you favorites on your menu.
Thanks for your help though, appreciate it.
When trying to add kde items like ksnapshot or third party apps like opera to menu using dconf-editor I have no success unless the panel link is created first.

Jesse654
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jesse654 »

cwwgateway wrote:I was trying to get to the blog (blog.linuxmint.com) and typed in bog.linuxmint.com, and it turned out to be a website about cinnamon.
<<<snip>>>
Just tried comunity.linuxmint.com. The links on the page redirect to cinnamon.linuxmint.com
<<<snip>>>
cwwgateway, it looks like, from your post, that "blog" and "community" are misspelled (or mispelled or misspeled or mispeled or...). Apparently a random subdomain (like jesse.linuxmint.com) routes to http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

@Altair4
Is it this quote from Clem you were looking for:
The user experience the Gnome team is trying to create isn't the one we're interested in providing to our users. There are core features and components we absolutely need, and because they're not there in Gnome Shell, we had to add them using extensions with MGSE. The extension system in Gnome Shell is handy but core parts of a desktop need to be able to communicate with each others and be integrated properly. The Gnome development team is not interested in the features we implemented, it's opposed to adding them to Gnome Shell, and it doesn't share our vision of a desktop. In other words, our work on Gnome 3 does not influence the development of Gnome Shell, Gnome Shell isn't going in a direction that is suitable for us, and we're not interested in shipping Gnome Shell "as is", or in continuing with multiple hacks and extensions.
No that wasn't it. Still can't find it. Never mind, it said what I said it said - if you see what I mean!

The trouble is I have 4 distros with two browsers on each which means 8 possible history files, plus yesterday I spent quite a bit of time posting from a live CD which of course erases its history as soon as it's shut down so I probably read it on that in which case I will never find it again.

Edit. Obviously didn't look hard enough. Here it is (two quotes actually in response to questions - I didn't include the questions but I am sure you will get the jist of it anyway).
clem - reply
December 24, 2011 at 2:29 pm

@imran: I would say it’s too soon still for artists to develop themes and developers to develop extensions (as they need a more stable codebase.. we’re making a lot of heavy changes at the moment, and more documentation/support/frameworks/tools). It’s also light on configuration but it’s already stable for general use and it provides all the core features people need. With every new version we’ll provide more features, better support for themes and extensions and of course more configuration options. So in a way, it’s already ready for general use… but there’s no proper themes or extensions for it yet, most of it isn’t configurable and it could do with a few more features

clem - reply
December 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Marty: Yes. It’s not a priority but it’s planned. Either we’ll let users choose the location of the panel, either we’ll define “layouts” for people to choose from. Either way you’ll be able to have your panel on top. This could also be achieved by extensions, although we prefer to use configuration. It’s too soon to say for sure how and when this would happen, but the ability for the user to customize his/her desktop and feel at home in it is part of our goals
This is the link:
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=53
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm »

This is my Cinnamon 1.1.2 desktop on LM12. This is Cinnamon (not gnome shell) theme 'Eleganse' (originally Elegance by satya164) that I rewrote a little to my taste. For now, theme works well, but Clem and the rest of the team are planning some changes to the compatibility with the GS themes and introduce new widgets and styles.

Unpack and copy the theme to /usr/share/themes/ because it appears in /.themes/ place themes are not properly detected(bug?).

Theme link
Last edited by Daniel4lm on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

Clem
The Places menu entry keeps disappearing.
But I can launch wine programs from the menu, could not do that in Mint 11.

I do have a problem with one wine program.
When DVD Shrink is encoding It gives a error and says I am out of memory and stops encoding.
This happens in wine 1.2 and 1.3 it also happens in MSGE.
I even reinstalled OS and still same thing.
This has never happened in any other previous releases, Mint 11 and Ubuntu.
Is this a memory leak?
Does this have something to do with the Gnome memory leak?
Any help would be appreciated.

RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RHTopics »

Cinnamon is working well for me, but it does seem to have a notification messages quirk.

Notification messages are affected by suspending the computer. After unsuspending, notifications messages either don't display at all or display for less than a second.

Resetting the Cinnamon desktop by doing a Alt-F2 and entering 'r' corrects the problem.

The Gnome MSGE desktop does not have this problem.

Edit: I have now noticed this problem also occurs after signing back in from an inactive computer (blank screen).

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Just curious...for those that are currently "playing with Cinnamon"... do your settings on the gnome tweaks from the mgse session carry into the Cinnamon Session?
(for example if you made some font settings changes or a theme change from tweaks)...if not, can you make those settings in Cinnamon...if so, does it work with the tweaks or do you use something else? And can you make font changes or theme changes in it?

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal »

Daniel4lm wrote:This is my Cinnamon 1.1.2 desktop on LM12. This is Cinnamon (not gnome shell) theme 'Eleganse' (originally Elegance by satya164) that I rewrote a little to my taste. For now, theme works well, but Clem and the rest of the team are planning some changes to the compatibility with the GS themes and introduce new widgets and styles.

Unpack and copy the theme to /usr/share/themes/ because it appears in /.themes/ place themes are not properly detected(bug?).

Theme link

Thank you for this theme! It is VERY nice :D :wink:

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal »

craig10x wrote:Just curious...for those that are currently "playing with Cinnamon"... do your settings on the gnome tweaks from the mgse session carry into the Cinnamon Session?
(for example if you made some font settings changes or a theme change from tweaks)...if not, can you make those settings in Cinnamon...if so, does it work with the tweaks or do you use something else? And can you make font changes or theme changes in it?

I go into Advance Settings to make changes like themes, fonts, etc. What I really like about Cinnamon's set up is if you click on the hot button you get "Window" and "Themes." All the themes that will work in Cinnamon are listed. Minty looks really good and I just installed Eleganse which I have going now. Mint 13 is going to rock :mrgreen:

Return to “Cinnamon”