How to change Cinnamon window theme

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

How to change Cinnamon window theme

Post by vistad »

Old window themes seem to be not working in Cinnamon DE. I have whole lot of them and changing them makes no difference. I'd like to change title bar color a little to be able to distinguish between the title bar and the menu bar. How to change Cinnamon window theme or how to change the title bar color? It's difficult when everything is white and I can't distinguish between the title bar and the menu bar.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
Dakiraun

Re: How to change Cinnamon window theme

Post by Dakiraun »

Agreed - this is a problem for me as well. I updated a work system and my home system (both on Mint 12) to Cinnamon yesterday and cannot seem to change the Windows borders from anything but the default Adwaita theme. GTK+ and other changes work fine. Is there a bug here?
Dakiraun

Post by Dakiraun »

Small update - I have installed the Daniel4lm themes, thinking that perhaps Cinnamon requires a custom theme to change the Window borders, but it still will not show anything but the Adwaita one. Has anyone successfully changed their window borders/themes under Cinnamon? If so, how?
kangdede

Post by kangdede »

My way is not simple but temporary can use if you want to change windows theme in cinnamon.
I just remove directory /usr/share/theme/adwaita and change this directory with other theme directory, and then rename that theme directory with adwaita. So it's not simple because every change theme we must do it again.. :roll: :roll: for other theme : gtk+, icon, font etc still can do from gnome shell tweak. There are more simple?
minus_x

Post by minus_x »

Try this:

Menu > System Tools > Configuration Editor (there are two on my system; choose the one with the wrench icon)

In the side panel, choose desktop > cinnamon > windows

I've noticed that the icons change when you alter the "theme" field, but not the colors. Please post here if you figure out the latter part.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

See 5h in this thread
Dakiraun

Post by Dakiraun »

bimsebasse wrote:See 5h in this thread
Yep, that definitely works. One note to add - you might have to install the gconf-editor; the only one that I had installed was the mate-editor, which is a throwback to the Gnome 2 editor. So for those unsure of where to get it, just type this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gconf-editor
And that will put the correct editor on if it isn't already.

It's still a bit of a clunky solution to theme switching, but probably only temporary since Cinnamon's still such a new project. Thanks all.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Ah, can anyone confirm that gconf-editor isn't installed by default in Mint 12? I can't remember what I added and what was already there :D
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

bimsebasse wrote:Ah, can anyone confirm that gconf-editor isn't installed by default in Mint 12? I can't remember what I added and what was already there :D
No, gconf-editor is not installed by default in the LM12(but mate conf tool is present). :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Thanks!
Daniel4lm wrote:(but mate conf tool is present). :D
:D very handy tool in that, and the icon is great too
Occam

Post by Occam »

You can make the window theme update by selecting the new theme, then pressing Alt+F2, typing in "r" (without quotes) and pressing enter. It reloads with the new settings.

Return to “Cinnamon”