Change user in Cinnamon? [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
rodvitner
Level 1
Level 1

Change user in Cinnamon? [SOLVED]

Postby rodvitner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I cant find out how to change user instead of logout. Is it not possible?
Last edited by rodvitner on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Change user in Cinnamon?

Postby cwwgateway » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 pm

rodvitner wrote:I cant find out how to change user instead of logout. Is it not possible?

I hadn't thought about this but it's actually a very good question. The gnome-shell menu which has your username on it has that ability, but cinnamon doesn't have and (at least apparent) graphical way to do it. The ability is still there (I think), but I'm not quite sure where. I am not using cinnamon ATM, so I can't try, but if you click log out in the mint menu does a popup come up with Log out and switch user on it?
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby DrHu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I don't know what cinnamon offers on the menus, there seems a dearth of information
--but here goes, anything show for you in these sections, and I will guess that Gnome 2 utilities/edits and apart from some menu name changes would still work in the main..
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=99

What these forums are saying about it..
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=89411

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cwwgateway » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Just checked cinnamon, apparently if you lock your computer (lock button in the menu), the lock screen has a switch users button.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing

rodvitner
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rodvitner » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 am

cwwgateway wrote:Just checked cinnamon, apparently if you lock your computer (lock button in the menu), the lock screen has a switch users button.

OK. Not very comfortable, but it works. Hope it will be a better and more intuitiv way in the future, but i mark this question as solved. Thank you for help.

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cwwgateway » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:30 pm

rodvitner wrote:OK. Not very comfortable, but it works. Hope it will be a better and more intuitiv way in the future, but i mark this question as solved. Thank you for help.

My pleasure :wink: .

andyandy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Change user in Cinnamon? [SOLVED]

Postby andyandy » Wed May 02, 2012 7:56 am

Hi. Apologies for the thread-bump but I thought it was fairly relevant.

I tried Cinnamon for the first time this evening and really, really liked the look of it.

However, when I came back to the machine after a period of inactivity I needed to unlock my session. There was NO option to switch users.

Thinking this was an anomaly (and after reading this very thread), I logged out and relaunched a new Cinnamon session.

I chose the 'Lock screen' menu item, and was presented with exactly the same thing - No option to switch users, just a very empty looking window in the middle of the screen with a password field and an 'unlock' button, the time/date displayed at the top of the screen (centred), and my username with a padlock next to it at the top (right hand corner). Clicking (right+left) on the username didn't provide any pop-up style menu.

Any thoughts/advice on this? Is it supposed to work differently and provide a 'Switch users' button along with 'Unlock'? This is a fresh (4 day old) install of LMDE 64-bit, with everything up-to-date.

Thanks,
A.

andyandy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andyandy » Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 am

Sorry, just realised I should also provide the version of Cinnamon being used.

I've just checked, and it's 1.4.0-lmde1.

And further troubleshooting just undertaken:

- Reinstalled Cinnamon (BTW, does Cinnamon write config somewhere under ~/?)
- Tried creating a new user account to rule out it being something related to my profile, and the new account had the exact same problem.

This is a real shame, as Cinnamon looks seriously, absolutely superb - but this machine is swapped back and forth between my partner and myself all the time, and a lack of 'switch user' when unlocking is a show-stopper for now.

Thanks again.

crossroadstech
Level 1
Level 1

Postby crossroadstech » Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 am

I found the cause and solution. The new display manager included with LMDE 201204 (Final not RC), MDM, renamed gdmflexiserver to mdmflexiserver. Gnome-screensaver, when it brings up the password prompt to unlock, looks to see if gdmflexiserver exists, before it displays the Switch User button.

To fix simply enter the following at the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mdmflexiserver /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver

Now the Switch User button will appear when you lock the screen and the prompt appears. :D

I created a bug report on Github for MDM... Issue #1.

jbrendel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jbrendel » Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 pm

crossroadstech wrote:I found the cause and solution. The new display manager included with LMDE 201204 (Final not RC), MDM, renamed gdmflexiserver to mdmflexiserver. Gnome-screensaver, when it brings up the password prompt to unlock, looks to see if gdmflexiserver exists, before it displays the Switch User button.

To fix simply enter the following at the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mdmflexiserver /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver

Thank you so much for this! After a recent upgrade to Mint 13 I noticed that I can't switch users anymore, not even with the old "lock your screen first" trick. But the creation of that symlink as described by you fixed it! Yay!

igariox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby igariox » Sat May 26, 2012 6:32 am

there is in menu SYSTEM TOOLS >> NEW LOGIN
you can just make a link on it

Return to “Cinnamon”