Cinnamon PPA with Extensions(updated Feb 16)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 am

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by Daniel4lm »

I managed to run the CPU temperature extension in Cinnamon. It displays the temperature of the processor. I hope it will work in Cinnamon 1.1.4 also
Last edited by Daniel4lm on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenrox
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: washington state
Contact:

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by zenrox »

i also have bine useing the temp from the above place for a long time now works great
notyourbuddy
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by notyourbuddy »

Randomly browsing the forums and came across this thread. Gave your weather extension and xrandr-indicator a try and they work great. Very cool :mrgreen:
- Win7 Professional 64-bit / Mint 12 64-bit (Cinnamon 1.1.3)
- Intel core i3 3.4 ghz
- 4 GB ram
- Intel HD Integrated
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by merlwiz79 »

Now extensions are going to be called applets and have many changes on how they work.
clem wrote:Most extensions coming from Gnome Shell should not be extensions, but applets instead.

Here are a few advantages of applets vs extensions in Cinnamon:

- Easier to write (most of the things are already done for you)
- Consistent style across applets in the panel when it comes to margin, fonts etc..
- The user decides where the applet goes, not the developer of the applet
- Applets are confronted to the Cinnamon Applet API, which doesn't change much from release to release (and so applets don't depend on a particular version of cinnamon)
- Common right-click behavior across applets which the applet can extend
Clem already has 2 made if you want to see how they are put together. https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-applets

Cinnamon 1.1.4 will be using Muffin instead of Mutter.
Muffin isn't compatible with the latest Gnome 3 libraries.
Don't plan on seeing others have Cinnamon 1.1.4 soon after it's released.
Muffin doesn't even compile on Ubuntu 12.04.
Image
roger64
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by roger64 »

Hi

Thanks for your latest infos.
1. Where is Clem writing?
2. What do you mean by this sentence: Don't plan on seeing others have Cinnamon 1.1.4 soon after it's released.. Should I understand that the 1.1.4. version of Cinnamon will be final? Or that it will not be easily used soon by other distros? If so, for what reason?
3. Mufin do not compile on Ubuntu 12.04 : for the moment, forever? It can be used as a binary? It cannot be used?

Thanks again
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by merlwiz79 »

roger64 wrote:Hi

Thanks for your latest infos.
1. Where is Clem writing?
2. What do you mean by this sentence: Don't plan on seeing others have Cinnamon 1.1.4 soon after it's released.. Should I understand that the 1.1.4. version of Cinnamon will be final? Or that it will not be easily used soon by other distros? If so, for what reason?
3. Mufin do not compile on Ubuntu 12.04 : for the moment, forever? It can be used as a binary? It cannot be used?

Thanks again
1. I email him about the Ubuntu PPA.
2. Arch, Gentoo and others have a new gnome 3 libraries that Muffin doesn't compile with. Muffin is using outdated libraries.
Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome Shell and will continue to have updates.
3. Muffin currently doesn't compile on Ubuntu 12.04. Linux Mint 13 is going to be based on Ubuntu 12.04 so it should get fixed.
Image
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by cwwgateway »

The cinnamon-applets github page doesn't seem to be there (I get a 404 error and it's not listed under linuxmint github pages).
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by merlwiz79 »

cwwgateway wrote:The cinnamon-applets github page doesn't seem to be there (I get a 404 error and it's not listed under linuxmint github pages).
Looks like they were integrated into Cinnamon.
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/t ... on/applets
Image
rzpkvs
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by rzpkvs »

merlwiz79

great work.. thnx
User avatar
Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Maple Heights, Ohio Republic USA
Contact:

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by Andrew33 »

Still can't right click on either bar; either top or bottom to do anything, especially to resize so I can see them better
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1214
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by Lantesh »

Wow I really appreciate your hard work in getting these extensions working with Cinnamon. I hope they continue to work as Cinnamon evolves, or are incorporated within Cinnamon itself. Thank you for your efforts. :D
zenrox
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: washington state
Contact:

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by zenrox »

welp the new realice of cinnamon 1.2.0 breaks all the extentions (finally as this was expected)
now we need to turn the extentions in to apps if at all possable
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by kmb42vt »

zenrox wrote:welp the new realice of cinnamon 1.2.0 breaks all the extentions (finally as this was expected)
now we need to turn the extentions in to apps if at all possable
Yup, breaks all the 3rd party themes as well but this was also expected. No big deal as Cinnamon is still basically alpha software and we knew this was going to happen. Plenty of time to work on it yet. :D
Last edited by kmb42vt on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
crzen
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by crzen »

I got the weather extention to work :D :twisted: . add the following:
'"1.2" after "1.1.3" in the cinnamon version line of metadata.js of /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/weather@cinnamon.org

line 5 will look like this:
"cinnamon-version": [ "1.1.3","1.2" ],

EDIT: Dont forget to turn it on in cinnamon settings -> extensions
EDIT2: I only had to modify the menu section of my personal theme to get it to work. :D
zenrox
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: washington state
Contact:

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by zenrox »

crzen wrote:I got the weather extention to work :D :twisted: . add the following:
'"1.2" after "1.1.3" in the cinnamon version line of metadata.js of /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/weather@cinnamon.org

line 5 will look like this:
"cinnamon-version": [ "1.1.3","1.2" ],

EDIT: Dont forget to turn it on in cinnamon settings -> extensions
EDIT2: I only had to modify the menu section of my personal theme to get it to work. :D
i got the places and the tempture extention to work with this workaround
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by merlwiz79 »

I don't have time now but will update the ppa later today.
I haven't even tested it yet so it'll take some time to get everything in the ppa.
Image
zenrox
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: washington state
Contact:

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by zenrox »

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost. ... tcount=187
this has updated weather and dock extentions
User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2419
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by merlwiz79 »

I have updated the weather extension for 1.2.0.
I have also updated gnome-tweak-tool to allow you to change the windows theme.
You have to restart cinnamon after you change the theme.
Also it allows you to change the which windows actions buttons are allow to show.
If youi are on Linux Mint it won't work !00% even if you force install it.

I'm trying to get the other extensions to work but I'm stuck on the dock.
Most of the time the dock doesn't detect that mouse is still focusing on it and hides.
This makes it hard to use with auto hide. :(
If you move fast enough and are lucky you might get something to launch.

My patched gnome-tweak-tool(Advacned Settings) in Linux Mint:
Image
Image
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:18 am

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by Rehdon »

merlwiz79 wrote:I have updated the weather extension for 1.2.0.
Just upgraded it, I have temperature and weather condition listed on the panel, but if I click on the icon the corresponding (bubble) window is empty.
merlwiz79 wrote:I have also updated gnome-tweak-tool to allow you to change the windows theme.
You have to restart cinnamon after you change the theme.
Also it allows you to change the which windows actions buttons are allow to show.
If youi are on Linux Mint it won't work !00% even if you force install it.
That's not yet in the repository, right? Perhaps you should rename it, so that people switching between GS and Cinnamon can have the original GS version?
merlwiz79 wrote:I'm trying to get the other extensions to work but I'm stuck on the dock.
Most of the time the dock doesn't detect that mouse is still focusing on it and hides.
This makes it hard to use with auto hide. :(
If you move fast enough and are lucky you might get something to launch.
Yep, I had to give up on dock because of that, it stays hidden almost every time the mouse cursor went that way...

Thanks for the update :)

Rehdon
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:08 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Cinnamon PPA with Extensions

Post by rbeltz48 »

I tried to install the cinnamon-extensions files but ran into all kinds of errors and missing dependencies problems. For now I am just going to leave Cinnamon alone until it is in a more stable state and being able to add features is easier. For now I prefer and will use GNOME Classic.
Locked

Return to “Cinnamon”