Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lumikki

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released and so nice!!

Post by Lumikki »

I have small bug. For some reason Mint update managers icon in bottom bar is wrong size. It's like 2 times bigger than any other icon.
At least in Baldr, Loki, Ambiance Mint and Ubuntu theme. Not in default theme. You see it after relogin.
Last edited by Lumikki on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

dsplayname wrote:
z06gal wrote:
wyrdoak wrote:Only thing I haven't been able to get back is the weather applet. The drag and drop took a little time to figure out but I have everything else now positioned the way I like it.

The only thing not working for me is the dock extension. Everything else is great :wink:
These^.
I updated when I got home this evening, and now the weather and dock extensions(the only ones I use) aren't working. I just switched to Mint 12 from Ubuntu 11.10 last night, so while I'm not completely linux-illiterate, I still am somewhat new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the update too, I have loved Cinnamon since 1.1.

I got my dock back by going, as root, usr>share>cinnamon>extensions>dock extension>metadata.json file. Where it says "cinnamon version" change it to 1.3 then save and reload cinnamon. I had no idea if it would work but it did beautifully :wink:
dsplayname

Post by dsplayname »

z06gal wrote: I got my dock back by going, as root, usr>share>cinnamon>extensions>dock extension>metadata.json file. Where it says "cinnamon version" change it to 1.3 then save and reload cinnamon. I had no idea if it would work but it did beautifully :wink:
Thanks. I hadn't seen one of those type of fixes since Gnome made the bump to 3.2.1.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Sammaul wrote:You do not need to go into dconf and manually input change...applets and menu icons can be moved by simple gui drag and drop

*edit* maybe not so simple, a little buggy but still can be done
Not at all so simple, me and a few others have wrecked our panel trying to unwreck it and when that happens dconf editor is at the moment the only medicine.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Lumikki wrote:I have small bug. For some reason Mint update managers icon in bottom bar is wrong size. It's like 2 times bigger than any other icon.
At least in Baldr and Loki theme. Not in default theme. You see it after relogin.
Old bug in Cinnamon - some panel icons are not properly adjusted until you reset Cinnamon or close the application and open it again: here's a normal update icon in Loki:
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

Yah bimsebasse I do not have mine perfect but everything that I like to the left it left, and right is right. To be honest when I first tried I attempted to use dconf...but the menu icon is to the far right of the line, and the editor was not allowing me to edit that far over...even when scrolling to the right then attempting to edit the line dconf moved line back to the beginning and would only allow scrolling to midpoint of line.
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

For those having trouble with extensions showing up.
Go to
make sure you show hidden files in nautilus (Crtl+h)
Home/.local/share/cinnamon/extensions/your extensions name here/metadata.json
Or go to
alt+F2 type gksu nautilus
File System/usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/your extensions name here/metadata.json
Change the “cinnamon-version” I just changed the 2 in “1.2.0“ to a 3 and save.
Hope this helps

@ zO6gal Sorry about posting the same thing as you.
Your post showed while I was typeing mine.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

sprintcowboy wrote:For those having trouble with extensions showing up.
Go to
Or go to
File System/usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/your extensions name here/metadata.json
Hope this helps

Thanks, that got back my weather applet :D
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

sprintcowboy wrote:For those having trouble with extensions showing up.
Go to
Or go to
Hope this helps

No worries whatsoever sprint. I really had no idea if it would work till I tried it and your directions are more thorough anyway. Thanks :wink:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bimsebasse wrote:
OK I promise this is the last time, hopefully someone else will take over :) Cinnamon is not a finished product, it's under development, bugs and issues go with the territory, and that's why you got the update, because it is meant to be benefit from users testing the newest versions at this stage - otherwise it wouldn't have been released.
I've been saying the same thing and not only in the forums. You should see what they're saying in the wide world of tech site comment threads. Of course, they still think that gnome-shell is actually Gnome 3 and that Mint is forking Gnome 3 itself and not gnome-shell. :shock:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

clem wrote:Hi,

I'm terribly sorry about the nvidia glitch.. the build picked up on my own nvidia drivers and treated them as dependency.

First thing to do is to check if your version of cinnamon depends on nvidia-current:

apt show cinnamon | grep nvidia

If that outputs something, it means it does.. which means, you've got to reinstall Cinnamon 1.3.

To reinstall Cinnamon 1.3:

apt update
apt clean
apt reinstall cinnamon

Then make sure the dependency is gone (the following command should output nothing):

apt show cinnamon | grep nvidia

Also, if you don't have an nVidia card (or if you were running Nouveau beforehand), and if the package "nvidia-current" is now installed on your system, don't hesitate to remove it:

apt remove --purge nvidia-current

We're currently identifying any other potential issue and we'll follow up with an 1.3.1 update in the days to come.

Admins: Feel free to make this a sticky if there's demand for it.
Heh, I get the strangest feeling I never follow the norm. I updated my trusty old Thinkpad R61 to Cinnamon 1.3 which has Intel X3100 graphics and although nvidia-common was indeed installed as a dependent, no problems occurred. I wouldn't have known about this but for the posts on this forum. Followed the instructions and removed nvidia-common anyway. Thanks for the update, Clem.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
biggyk

Re: Cinnamon 1.3 released!!

Post by biggyk »

1.3 is pretty sweet stuff just having an issue with Icons and window list being stuck on the right side top. I am using the traditional panel layout so I usually have the window list on bottom and icons top right. Cant seem to change this.

bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

biggyk see instructions on where and how to arrange panel items in dconf editor earlier in the thread.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

looks like in this 1.3 release the only applets that are causing some issues (and requiring dconf-editor) are
- panel launchers
- window list
Keith Peters - reply
February 17, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I’m able to drag many of the applets but can’t figure out how to move the Panel Launchers or Cinnamon Window List applets. Is there some trick?

Edit by Clem: There is :) Ok first, an explanation… the applet zone of these applets was conflicting with their content (both in theming and behavior) and so these two particular applets actually redefine their main actor.. which means they overwrite their wrapper and you can’t access their “applet zone”.. hence you can’t move them. We’ll try to fix that before the next release. In the meantime, like any other applet, their location is defined in gsettings, so you can move them manually using either gsettings or dconf-editor by modifying them in “org.cinnamon enabled-applets”.
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=163#comment-1328

anyway, just a word of warning, be careful editing the settings with dconf and make sure that the syntax is correct, one error there might crash cinnamon later (speaking for own experience :mrgreen: )
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:looks like in this 1.3 release the only applets that are causing some issues (and requiring dconf-editor) are
- panel launchers
- window list
Keith Peters - reply
February 17, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I’m able to drag many of the applets but can’t figure out how to move the Panel Launchers or Cinnamon Window List applets. Is there some trick?

Edit by Clem: There is :) Ok first, an explanation… the applet zone of these applets was conflicting with their content (both in theming and behavior) and so these two particular applets actually redefine their main actor.. which means they overwrite their wrapper and you can’t access their “applet zone”.. hence you can’t move them. We’ll try to fix that before the next release. In the meantime, like any other applet, their location is defined in gsettings, so you can move them manually using either gsettings or dconf-editor by modifying them in “org.cinnamon enabled-applets”.
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=163#comment-1328

anyway, just a word of warning, be careful editing the settings with dconf and make sure that the syntax is correct, one error there might crash cinnamon later (speaking for own experience :mrgreen: )
For those who do run into a problem editing panel settings in the dconf editor (or any other setting for Cinnamon for that matter) make sure you copy out the original settings first and paste them in a text file before you do any editing. And if Cinnamon does crash due to a typo you can always log into another DE like Gnome (gnome-shell) or Mate, bring up the dconf editor, restore the original settings from your text file and then try again. Personal experience talking here.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb42vt wrote: For those who do run into a problem editing panel settings in the dconf editor (or any other setting for Cinnamon for that matter) make sure you copy out the original settings first and paste them in a text file before you do any editing. And if Cinnamon does crash due to a typo you can always log into another DE like Gnome (gnome-shell) or Mate, bring up the dconf editor, restore the original settings from your text file and then try again. Personal experience talking here.
what he said 8) until the last line!!
leave it to you now kmb :lol: 3am is not a reasonable hour to be up
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: For those who do run into a problem editing panel settings in the dconf editor (or any other setting for Cinnamon for that matter) make sure you copy out the original settings first and paste them in a text file before you do any editing. And if Cinnamon does crash due to a typo you can always log into another DE like Gnome (gnome-shell) or Mate, bring up the dconf editor, restore the original settings from your text file and then try again. Personal experience talking here.
what he said 8) until the last line!!
leave it to you now kmb :lol: 3am is not a reasonable hour to be up
No, it's not. But it's 10:21 PM here though so no problem. :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

dconf has a "set to default" button so you only need to save your own advanced setup if you worry about losing that.
biggyk

Re: Re:

Post by biggyk »

Okay thanks
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

*sigh* And I would be the one too lazy to even copy and paste to clipboard to edit :oops:

Return to “Cinnamon”