If you had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs what would it b

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
janax
Level 1
Level 1

Re: If you had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs what would

Post by janax »

I would like to edit the cinnamon application menu.

There is one solution that I posted earlier that allows alacarte to interact with today's cinnamon: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p549771
RegionalQLD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RegionalQLD »

andrew5859 wrote:Yes....I would request that everything be made configurable like gnome 2 and return the admin options to the dropdown box when taking ownership of files & folders, the ability of the panels opacity (light or dark, with a slide bar like gnome 2).....it's so simple to implement...you should be able to have all the abilities in gnome 3 like you do with 2....it should be that difficult...unless you're someone who doesn't want to listen to the requests of others to make life a little easier, instead of so complicated....cheers
Andrew
Yeah, in this case the way forward is to look backward. A restoration of the same functionality of the Gnome 2 desktop would be a great start and should take priority over bells and whistles.
A Future Pilot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by A Future Pilot »

One thing I'd really like to see (And I'm not sure if this is a Cinnamon thing or something that would have to be done in nautilus...) but I would really like the Mac-like functionality of dragging files. When you drag a file over a folder or drive in the left side pane, it will open up that folder of drive, and when you drag a file over a folder in the main file browser window, it will open up the folder after a few seconds, assuming that you want to put the file inside it. I'm not sure if that all made sense...but yeah. lol
Honest Mistake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Honest Mistake »

Either Compiz support or as many Compiz features as possible included in Cinnamon. Cube, wobbly windows, application switchers, the works. I feel that this would make Cinnamon the real successor to Gnome 2.
iLobster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iLobster »

Ability to edit app menu, please :)

And thanks for the Cinnamon!
anderigs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anderigs »

port alacarte to cinnamon to support editing of the menu ... would seem to be actually very easy if that workaround mentioned above is really working.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Check out what is coming in Cinnamon 1.4: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/cinnamon ... w-hot.html This seems to meet a few users' requests :wink:
  • New hot corner behavior which can now use either workspace selection (like Compiz "Expo") or window selection (like Compiz "Scale"). In expo mode, you can add or remove workspaces and when you hover a workspace, the windows are arranged like in the overview so you can see all available windows (which you can drag onto another workspace, etc.). Also, the hot corner position can now be changed.
  • Panel edit mode
  • A new Cinnamon Settings panel applet which lets you restart Cinnamon, start Looking Glass, restore all settings to default, quickly access panel settings, and so on (see screenshot above)
  • Option to only use workspaces on primary monitor
  • Cinnamon menu editor (forked from alacarte)
  • Improved support for RTL languages
  • Added 'Visible on all workspaces' and "Move to workspace" to the window list
  • Favourites improvements (you can add an application to the favourites by drag and drop, etc.)
Edit: official release announcement http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=182 :P
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

Looks like it might be time to try Cinnamon again. Those are very good additions.
Now if someone (I sure don't know how) Image would write a 'favorites' applet, to go with the present 'places' and 'recent documemnts' applets.
Those three applets on the panel would make Cinnamon really shine to me.
dolphin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dolphin »

What I wish was possible is to have (eventually) ability to have two panels one right above the other, as it is possible in Gnome 2. I prefer to use two panels at once, one for icons and second for switching between open applications (open windows list). I find it very convenient.
Here is how it looks in my perfect Gnome 2 desktop on Linux Mint 11 Katya:
http://ompldr.org/vYnhtdQ
Sorry for Ubuntu menu icon. It's there only because of the theme. But it is Mint.
and Xfce 4.8 - in Xfce actually there are not two panels but separator divides panel into two lines
http://imageshack.us/f/3/68015200.png/

Generally speaking I wish Cinnamon could incorporate all the greatest and the best features of Gnome 2 and Gnome Shell and even Unity (notification area / indicators are well developed in Unity).
m000gle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m000gle »

Gotta say, I'm love Cinnamon, so far!

If I had ONE request for the Cinnamon devs, other than keeping up the good work, it would be: an option/applet for a horizontal Global Menu, in the panel, as exists in Unity and was available in GNOME2 as the indicator-appmenu.

This is one of those features which some people love, and others despise. However, having the option would be great, especially for those who hope to use Cinnamon in a flipped desktop layout, with Docky/AWN dock(s) at the bottom and/or sides.
qorrow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qorrow »

Please resolve cinnamon high CPU usage .. I stopped using it because of 80% CPU and the fan goes crazy.
snx51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snx51 »

Vertical Panel(s) on the right side of the screen for right-handed people (or left for left-handed) like in Xfce 4.8 with the possibility of just a button without text to open the menu, icons only in the window list (i.e. adapted from the "Iconized Window List" applet or a merged version of the applet with the standard window list applet with the option to not show the text). And a clock applet that fits on a vertical panel (maybe an analog clock). :)

This vertical panel would be great for me on my TabletPC. It would give great access to the panel when in tablet-mode holding the pen in the right hand (and a panel on the left for left-handed people).
Last edited by snx51 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Software: Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" - KDE (64-bit)
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Better icon theme for the panel so all icons are sized and colored in one common color scheme (lower right!). Icons added to the panel look great but are vastly different in appearance than those for the status indicators and sizing is incosistent.

Less CPU usage.

Cinnamon looks great already and continuing to scour the userbase for input is sure to result in some awesome design work!
HelloIndustries
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HelloIndustries »

Much as i love cinnamon, i don't feel i could switch unless i had the option to:

Set windows to open centred by default, and by extension: a bindable key to centre windows.

Having said that: Great work on Cinnamon.
It's removed the feeling of dread i had when considering my linux future without gnome2.x
I had no real interest in gnome-shell, Unity, KDE or any other shell/environment.
Mintified
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintified »

Information bubbles or flags when you float the mouse over options or checkboxes to let newbies (like me) know what that option 'really' does.
In Cinnamon I left the checkbox ticked in 'panel options/panel edit mode' and could no longer select minimised items on the task bar, I had to use alt+tab. Took me 3 days to work out what I'd done.
Never, under any circumstances take a laxative and a sleeping pill on the same day.
JonnyScatman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JonnyScatman »

It'd be cool to choose more than one hotcorner so I can use both the window and workspace expo effects, or the ability to assign key combinations to the expo effects.
~~Everybody party down in Louisiana, everybody jam~~
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Ooops... found this thread a bit to late. (Kind of asked about it in a new thread) :oops:

Anyway - I'd like to see an "Inhibit applet" like in Gnome 2 that when activated prevents the screen from blanking.

Something like that would really be useful.
Gaugamela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gaugamela »

One request it would be this right now. Quite simple:

- In the Cinnamon Settings - Themes --> Other Settings there should be a preview of how changing the different themes will change the look of the Windows, Icons, GTK+, etc with at least a screenshot of the new look. To see how changing themes impacts the looks of the system it is really annoying to have to log out every. single. time!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

One request? Easy.
After trying out a few themes and getting quite tired of them all having different font types and sizes, I'd really like to be able to set some default panel font parameters once and for all, so that theme developers' tastes won't interfere with mine. :)
lurkatron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lurkatron »

i would also like a bit more info, like a journal, whats going on in the cinnamon dev world.
-like is the next release likely to be released tomorrow, in 2-4 weeks, in 5 years
-today we fixed this or that, still need to fix X

something like that, i understand that there are no release schedules but a little bit of a clue would be nice. when 1.4 was released it came as a complete surprise, would be nice if someone said 'we hope it will be out tomorrow/next week' etc

Return to “Cinnamon”