Strange behavior

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Strange behavior

Post by z06gal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:31 pm

in Cinnamon today. I have my screen set to go off after 30 mins of inactivity. When I try to bring it back up, I have no desktop...no panels or anything. I have to do ctrl alt backspace which allows me to log back in but when the desktop comes up, the panel is really messed up [panel only at the bottom] and the only way to "fix" it is to change themes. I am going to set my screen settings to never but I'm not sure what the deal is. I had no issues booting the computer up today. It occurs regardless of theme. Anyone else experienced this?

Robin

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Strange behavior

Post by z06gal » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:53 am

This seems to be a theme related issue as it does not occur with some. Elementary OS is what I am using now and all is well so I'll see how it goes :wink:

bit101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bit101 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:12 am

You had me hopeful, and it worked one time with Elementary, but aftr that, back to the same old problem - no Cinnamon after lock screen.I do have a desktop and put a shortcut to Cinnamon there so I can easily restart it, but it's too much of a pain in the neck to do this over and over. Back to Gnome till this gets sorted out.

bluheron1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluheron1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:38 am

bit 101, this is what Clem suggested in another thread. You might try it, it fixed my system. When my screensaver kicked in my sytem was totally freezing, had to shut power off to regain control. Our problems are a little different but both are unusual for mint.

Remove nvidia-current and cinnamon:

apt remove --purge nvidia-current cinnamon

After this, you can do the following:

apt clean
apt update
apt install cinnamon

bit101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bit101 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Note: do NOT remove and purge nvidia-current if you have an nvidia card. My bad for being dumb enough to do so. Computer would only boot into a black screen after that. Luckily I was able to force it to boot into a console and was then able to re-install nvidia-current. Anyway, after all that, I still have problems with cinnamon crashing after lock. So once again, back to Gnome.

bluheron1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluheron1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Sorry about that bit101, I didn't think about your using nvidia card, my bad. I really thought that purging cinnamon and re-installing would work. Maybe someone else can help.

bit101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bit101 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 pm

No problem, I should have known better. And I was able to fix it quickly. Others might not have as much luck though.

As far as Cinnamon, several others are seeing the problem. Hoping it gets fixes in the next update.

dsplayname
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsplayname » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 am

I'm having a very similar problem. Every time my screen turns off or into "suspend" mode, the screen goes blank and freezes. I have to turn the computer off and on again to get it working again. I tried purging Nvidia (I use Intel graphics) and cinnamon, then re-installed cinnamon 1.3.1. It didn't help. I leave my computer on all the time, so just switching the screen off option to "never" isn't my ideal solution. I didn't have this issue in Ubuntu or Fedora, so I don't really know what to think at this point. I use a modified "Hacktivist" theme (only changed a couple of the overlay graphics), and even went into the JS for it and changed the version to 1.3.1.
Freedom defined is freedom denied

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 am

Don't know if it's graphic card related (nVidia here, as well) but I have a similar problem: every time I unlock the screen after a period of inactivity, Cinnamon is restarted. Any ideas?

Rehdon

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:58 am

Does it occur with the default theme? If I am using a theme that is not updated to the release the same thing occurs every time but updated themes do fine.

Robin

bit101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bit101 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 am

I finally solved this, seemingly by resetting my applets in Cinnamon settings.

dsplayname
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsplayname » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Neither resetting the applets nor reverting to the default theme fixed it for me. I read a little bit about needing a properly sized swap file, and made one twice the size as the amount of RAM I have, but it didn't fix it either.
Freedom defined is freedom denied

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

This issue has reared its head again for me. It does not matter what theme I am using, when the screen goes black after a period of inactivity and then I bring it back up, Cinnamon has crashed. I have no panels, and can only do ctrl alt backspace to log out and back in again. I'll just leave my screen setting to "never" so it doesn't occur. It did not happen in 1.2 so I don't know what has changed to cause it but hopefully it will get fixed in a future release :wink:

bit101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bit101 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:26 am

I'm seeing the same thing whenever I try to rearrange applets. either by dragging/dropping or positioning them in dconf-editor. About half the time, the changes I make wind up causing Cinnamon to crash on lock/unlock. When this happens, I go to Cinnamon settings, applets and reset them to default and this fixes it. I'm hoping the next release comes soon and stabilizes this situation. For now I'm just running a default setup.

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

z06gal wrote:This issue has reared its head again for me. It does not matter what theme I am using, when the screen goes black after a period of inactivity and then I bring it back up, Cinnamon has crashed.
Same problem here, as I wrote above, only I'm luckier cause instead of crashing it just resets itself. Going to check if there's an issue open, in any case I'd say it's a different problem than the crash caused by applet moving.

Rehdon

bit101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bit101 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Rehdon wrote:
z06gal wrote:This issue has reared its head again for me. It does not matter what theme I am using, when the screen goes black after a period of inactivity and then I bring it back up, Cinnamon has crashed.
Same problem here, as I wrote above, only I'm luckier cause instead of crashing it just resets itself. Going to check if there's an issue open, in any case I'd say it's a different problem than the crash caused by applet moving.

Rehdon
the crash is not directly after moving applets. it's after lock screen then unlock. but resetting the applets to default for some reason clears up the problem. messing about with the applets sometimes causes it to come up again. Others have experienced the same - on comments on the cinnamon blog post on 1.3.1.

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:13 pm

My problem is only after my screen goes off for power saving after a period of inactivity. I have not had any crashing when moving applets, etc so it sounds like there are several issues here causing Cinnamon to crash. :wink:

tomgibson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomgibson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Getting similar problems here with an NVidia 8800 GT. Dual-booting with Win 7, previously had Ubuntu 10.04. Seems this might be related to systems with NVidia cards?

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:47 pm

I decided to delete the panel separators and it seems to have resolved my problem. I am wondering if they over extended the zone area causing it to crash when the monitor went to sleep. Oh well, as long as it works correctly is what counts :wink:

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:44 pm

z06gal wrote:I decided to delete the panel separators and it seems to have resolved my problem. I am wondering if they over extended the zone area causing it to crash when the monitor went to sleep. Oh well, as long as it works correctly is what counts :wink:
Where are those??? O.o

Rehdon

Return to “Cinnamon”