Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
S1l3nced
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon crashes/restarts

Post by S1l3nced » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:43 am

Heyho,

for a few days I'm using Linux Mint 12 witch Cinnamon. But since the beginning I'm having problems witch Cinnamon. Cinnamon regularly crashes, my windows, panels und shortcuts disappear and after a few seconds all of them appears again. This is very annoying... I'm using Linux Mint 12 @MSI GT735 Notebook with ATI HD3850 mobility Radeon, 4GB RAM and an AMD Turion X2 Ultra 64 Dualcore.
Any suggestions?

Best regards
S1l3nced

javajeff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon crashes/restarts

Post by javajeff » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm

As mentioned in other threads, the problem is with Gnome 3 and ATI. I have the same issue if I use Gnome 3 default or Cinnamon. Hopefully there will be either a driver fix or Gnome 3 update that addresses the issue.

realitykid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by realitykid » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:54 pm

I've been having this same issue, but I am not using an ATI card. I have Intel HD Graphics. So I don't know why Cinnamon is restarting itself.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113 ... nature.txt

helgatheviking
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helgatheviking » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:53 pm

i'm having the same trouble. apparently ATI put out a new driver for mobility radeon very recently (march 2012) but i only see a 32bit version.

edit to add:

following these instructions:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... t-122.html

(and rebooting after uninstall the fglrx driver), i was able to install the ati catalyst 12.2 driver. time will tell if that solves my random crashing issue.

edit again: just crashed, so i guess this might not be the cure-all i was hoping for

ravenj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ravenj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 am

The same is happening to me, even with 12.3 drivers. I feel Cinnamon will be my future desktop but, for now, is unusable. These continuous crashes with ATI drivers are damaging what would be a very nice desktop.

Do you now when or how this will be fixed?

Thanks

Total_Blue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Total_Blue » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:22 pm

I have been having the same issue, but it's only in Cinnamon, which tells me it's a software issue and not a hardware issue.

level323
Level 1
Level 1

Post by level323 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 am

I'm having a similar issue.

Just started using cinnamon since LMDE x64 update pack 4 came along and somewhat forced my hand. Cinnamon has been working OK, but crashing every now and then.

Just a moment ago it crashed again, but now it crashes every time I try to log back in.

Logging in to other accounts using Cinnamon or GNOME 3 still works.

I'm running a nVidia video card with the latest binary drivers.

bernovi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bernovi » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm using a Lenovo S205 with an AMD APU E350 (integrated Radeon 6310) on a fresh install of Linux Mint 12 x64 with all updates to date.

Right after installing Mint12 x64 I started experiencing window manager restarts. No OS crashes or freezes, just 2-3 seconds of flickering of all windows open while the manager was rebooting.
So I installed all OS updates and rebooted. No change. Then I manually installed the latest drivers from AMD's site (Catalyst 12.3). Still same issues. I switched to Cinnamon from Gnome and same issues. I disabled nearly all Compiz animations in Cinnamon and that increased a bit the responsiveness but it didnt fix the wm restarts. I tried switching to Metacity but that froze the system and had to hard power-off.

Another interesting thing: After enabling vsync, fgl_glxgears give me a constant 60fps but flash videos in any browser are running at under 5fps, completely unwatchable.
Ive got no other issues with Mint but the window manager reboots make it unusable. Is there any solution to this??
Thank you sincerely

realitykid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by realitykid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:17 pm

bernovi wrote:I'm using a Lenovo S205 with an AMD APU E350 (integrated Radeon 6310) on a fresh install of Linux Mint 12 x64 with all updates to date.

Right after installing Mint12 x64 I started experiencing window manager restarts. No OS crashes or freezes, just 2-3 seconds of flickering of all windows open while the manager was rebooting.
So I installed all OS updates and rebooted. No change. Then I manually installed the latest drivers from AMD's site (Catalyst 12.3). Still same issues. I switched to Cinnamon from Gnome and same issues. I disabled nearly all Compiz animations in Cinnamon and that increased a bit the responsiveness but it didnt fix the wm restarts. I tried switching to Metacity but that froze the system and had to hard power-off.

Another interesting thing: After enabling vsync, fgl_glxgears give me a constant 60fps but flash videos in any browser are running at under 5fps, completely unwatchable.
Ive got no other issues with Mint but the window manager reboots make it unusable. Is there any solution to this??
Thank you sincerely
Well, Cinnamon is still new, so it isn't quite "perfect" yet. So there will be performance issues. Luckily, Cinnamon works almost perfectly on my laptop. Sometimes it'll restart on its own, but its not a huge deal as I know it's new.

Have you tried using MATE and/or Gnome Classic? It could be a Gnome 3 issue with your hardware.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113 ... nature.txt

lehjr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lehjr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 am

It seems the issue is fixed in the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS base or at least the most recent beta. I installed it last night along with Cinnamon and fglrx (not fglrx-updates) and haven't had a crash/restart yet vs the random crashes/restarts every 5 minutes or less. The driver in the Ubuntu Precise repos is apparently 12.4 vs the 12.3 on AMD's site. Long story short, this issue should be fixed in Mint 13 :D

bernovi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bernovi » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 pm

realitykid wrote: Well, Cinnamon is still new, so it isn't quite "perfect" yet. So there will be performance issues. Luckily, Cinnamon works almost perfectly on my laptop. Sometimes it'll restart on its own, but its not a huge deal as I know it's new.

Have you tried using MATE and/or Gnome Classic? It could be a Gnome 3 issue with your hardware.
Cheers for your reply. Yes I am using Gnome classic at the moment as G3 or Cinnamon are completely unusable. Gnome Classic works well, the only issue is online videos in 720p and 1080p that lag to 5fps. I cant seem to fix that :(
I posted this under AMD/Gnome 3 thread as it seems to be a problem with Gnome3 and AMD drivers http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 54#p569007

candrax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by candrax » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Anyone found a solution for this?

samwillc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by samwillc » Wed May 23, 2012 4:39 pm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/63070476/IMG_20 ... 213220.jpg

Same for me. After updating Ati drivers via 'Additional drivers', get this on restart. Makes it unusable for me which is a great shame, had no problems in ubuntu 12.04 unity.

Sam.

mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mark1mint » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

I think I may been experiencing the same issue,as explained here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=102808,for the record I have a Radeon HD5450 card with ATI 12.4 driver (installed manually). On the plus side, yesterday I tried Mint13 Cinnamon in a virtual machine and it was perfect,everything worked as expected-let's just hope it will be just the same when physically installed on the hard drive with a real ATI driver.

flubba86
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flubba86 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 pm

mark1mint wrote:I think I may been experiencing the same issue,as explained here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=102808,for the record I have a Radeon HD5450 card with ATI 12.4 driver (installed manually). On the plus side, yesterday I tried Mint13 Cinnamon in a virtual machine and it was perfect,everything worked as expected-let's just hope it will be just the same when physically installed on the hard drive with a real ATI driver.
I am experiencing this issue too. On LM 13, Cinnamon 1.4 with Catalyst v12.4 drivers manually installed (RadeonHD 6870). I get constant freezing, and very slow compiz performance. Opening/closing and dragging windows is jumpy and slow. The graphics drivers are working great in all other aspects, I have the xvda vaapi drivers installed and can use xvda in VLC to play x264 purely on hardware, and GLX gears runs perfect.

chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chazdg24 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Same issue here, but only in LM 13 Cinnamon. Gnome-shell works perfectly. Is it possible to remove 12.4 and revert back to fglrx? I had no driver issues using fglrx, but system crashes which I thought were driver related. Also had no problems with ATI 12.4 with Ubuntu Unity. I was really looking forward to Maya, but it has been somewhat of a bust thus far.

LM 13 Cinnamon 64 Bit installed.

chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chazdg24 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Linux Mint 13=FAIL. How sad.

DiGiTaL-CORE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DiGiTaL-CORE » Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 am

NVIDIA 560 ti and mine just freezes too. Have to restart every time, but MATE works just fine.

Penurious Penguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Penurious Penguin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:44 pm

$ apt-get remove completely-unnecessary-application
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
After this operation, all disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Return to “Cinnamon”