Cinnamon Extras PPA (discontinued)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timbo

Re: Cinnamon Extras PPA (updated April 21)

Post by timbo »

The windowlist-applet keeps crashing my Desktop when I try it in LMDe. After that I have to boot into Gnome-Shell and delete all configs for Cinnamon to boot again. I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but it is somewhat weird because I was using it on a different installation of LMDe only a few days ago.
rewyllys

Post by rewyllys »

What a great idea! Many thanks to you, Bimsebasse.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

We're moving house (somehow the painting and heavy lifting duties all fell on me) and I'm working full time and then some on my job as well at the mo so Cinnamon Extras has been a bit quiet the past week - updating stuff now, though, and will add some of the popular new applets the next few hours.

On the author's request the classic menu applet has been reverted to an earlier version due to buggy behavior in the newest version, it will say version 2.6.0.2 but will in effect be version 2.5.3 (launchpad doesn't allow you to jump back in version numbers, a slow steady-on progression is all it understands).

I will also work on adding a Precise series so 12.04 users don't have to tweak the sources.list.d file to make the repo compatible with Pangolin.

Over and out!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Newly added:
cinnamon-applet-betterplaces
cinnamon-applet-internetsearch
cinnamon-applet-screensaverinhibit
cinnamon-applet-search

and the 3-in-1 Gnome menu applet:
cinnamon-applet-gnomemenuapps
cinnamon-applet-gnomemenuplaces
cinnamon-applet-gnomemenusystem
(they have each other as dependencies, installing one package installs the other two)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

bimsebasse wrote:On the author's request the classic menu applet has been reverted to an earlier version due to buggy behavior in the newest version, it will say version 2.6.0.2 but will in effect be version 2.5.3 (launchpad doesn't allow you to jump back in version numbers, a slow steady-on progression is all it understands).
Thank you! Got my Favorites and two-word "package manager" item back :D
bimsebasse

Re: Cinnamon Extras PPA (updated May 3)

Post by bimsebasse »

New flat painted, old flats cleaned up, moving heavy objects around finally over with and all services are now returning to normal. Packages will be updated over the next few days. In the meantime I added a Precise series to the PPA which means 12.04 and Mint 13 RC users don't have to doctor any sources.list.d files to make the PPA work on their installs. Haven't tested it in 12.04 yet but it works without hiccups in Mint 13.

Happy New Year! (it's not new year's eve but I felt a strange urge to wish a happy new year, and - damn the consequences - I went with it, it's done)
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:New flat painted, old flats cleaned up, moving heavy objects around finally over with and all services are now returning to normal...
Ok, now when's the party start?
I wish we're all invited!!!
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

bimsebasse wrote:New flat painted, old flats cleaned up, moving heavy objects around finally over with and all services are now returning to normal. Packages will be updated over the next few days. In the meantime I added a Precise series to the PPA which means 12.04 and Mint 13 RC users don't have to doctor any sources.list.d files to make the PPA work on their installs. Haven't tested it in 12.04 yet but it works without hiccups in Mint 13.

Happy New Year! (it's not new year's eve but I felt a strange urge to wish a happy new year, and - damn the consequences - I went with it, it's done)
I am really glad that you ended up hard work and that is all at the end. I wish you a happy new year(at least the rest of it) and thank you for Cinnamon Extras PPA and what you do for us :D
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

bimsebasse wrote:New flat painted, old flats cleaned up, moving heavy objects around finally over with and all services are now returning to normal. Packages will be updated over the next few days. In the meantime I added a Precise series to the PPA which means 12.04 and Mint 13 RC users don't have to doctor any sources.list.d files to make the PPA work on their installs. Haven't tested it in 12.04 yet but it works without hiccups in Mint 13.

Happy New Year to you too. If esteban's coming to this party, I want to come too :D . Anyway, thanks for this PPA and I hope you like your new flat.
rewyllys

Post by rewyllys »

Bim, I'd appreciate an update on how to install your excellent Cinnamon Extras PPA. What CLI commands are currently appropriate?

Thanks in advance for your help.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

thank you very much for this, mint 13 rc cinnamon, installed the ppa no worries, installed classic menu, ticked that in cinnamon settings, log out and in, but how to have the classic menu? Could you explain or point me to a tutorial, or is this happening "NOTE: The applet fails to load if one of the favorites doesn't exist. This will be solved in the next release" ? cheers :)
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

rewyllys wrote:Bim, I'd appreciate an update on how to install your excellent Cinnamon Extras PPA. What CLI commands are currently appropriate?

They are all in the first post. I have added a precise series to the PPA so you no longer have perform postinstall hacks to get the PPA working in Mint 13/Ubuntu Precise
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

beachgardener wrote:thank you very much for this, mint 13 rc cinnamon, installed the ppa no worries, installed classic menu, ticked that in cinnamon settings, log out and in, but how to have the classic menu? Could you explain or point me to a tutorial, or is this happening "NOTE: The applet fails to load if one of the favorites doesn't exist. This will be solved in the next release" ? cheers :)
I'll update all applets in the PPA tomorrow and will get back to you if I experience the same with the classic menu applet.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

If you're updating the PPA, could I make a cheeky request for All in One Places (http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/62) to be added? With the latest updates, I really think it's the best Places menu available.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Sure. But I just ran into a hurdle. Again. Setting up and maintaining a PPA is one long pain in the knickers :D

Haven't managed to upload to cinnamon extras from Mint 13/Ubuntu 12.04 and after a good many hours of trying I'm retreating and preparing for another battle tomorrow. I can still upload from Mint 12 but in Mint 12 I can't see if packages work well in the new version of Gnome Mint 13/Ubuntu Precise use so it's not a solution. Sigh :D
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

Thanks.

I'm sorry you're finding it such a chore, it's very good of you to maintain this resource for the community. The best of luck with getting it to work with the minimum of extra effort.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Worked it out, turned out I was an idiot. Will upload some of the new applets later!
rewyllys

Post by rewyllys »

bimsebasse wrote:
rewyllys wrote:Bim, I'd appreciate an update on how to install your excellent Cinnamon Extras PPA. What CLI commands are currently appropriate?

They are all in the first post. I have added a precise series to the PPA so you no longer have perform postinstall hacks to get the PPA working in Mint 13/Ubuntu Precise
Now added to my installation of Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon.

Many thanks again, Bimsebasse! :D
appye
Level 2
Level 2

Post by appye »

Hi there. I realize I can add oneric (or precise now, right?) for your repository ... but is it possible for you to make a symlink or something (not sure how all this main/pool/dists stuff works) to the latest repo for LMDE? As an LMDE user, I like the concept of having a static entry in my sources.list that I don't have to update periodically in order to stay current. I don't mind updating the entry on my own computer, but I would rather not have to do that many times over for friends and family.

Thanks for you time!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Hi appye - I'm not sure how things work in Debian. I've made a Precise series and all updates from now on will be in that series - until Quetzal is released.

Return to “Cinnamon”