Cinnamon 1.4 Frequently Crashes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
skibum1981
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon 1.4 Frequently Crashes

Post by skibum1981 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi All. I really love Cinnamon, but unfortunately I'd say it's not entirely usable, or at the least seems very alpha-ish in terms of stability. I understand it's a new project and all, but it frequently crashes and automatically restarts after crashing, probably once every two or three minutes while I'm using the desktop. I've noticed it seems to happen when moving Windows around, and typically with Google Chrome, but not always. Occasionally, maybe once every two or three hours of use, Cinnamon doesn't automatically restart, the window boarders/manager disappears entirely, and there's no way to restart it (ALT+F2 doesn't work, no keyboard shortcuts work, etc.), so the only thing I can do is restart the computer (can't log out, either).

Does anyone else have these kinds of problems? I think it's a great product, but just hoping that these bugs will be sorted. I didn't see much in terms of topics on crashes, so I'm wondering if it's just me? I do have three different computers running Mint, and all have the same problems, so I doubt it, but figured I should ask others what their experience is....

skibum1981
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon 1.4 Frequently Crashes

Post by skibum1981 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:29 pm

No one?

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:02 pm

I haven't had a single crash with cinnamon 1.4... My only guess, because I had this happen to me with unity once, is that all of the machines have ATI/AMD graphics cards or the drivers aren't installed correctly if at all. That might have something to do with the refreshing. Otherwise, I don't really know.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid

frank_claessen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frank_claessen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 am

With me it is rock solid so, would be interesting to hear from you what errors you found in the log files.

Do you have a sensible partition usage - say, having a separate partition for your home directory? It would be a peace of cake to reinstall the system and see if you still get these crashes.

I missed what version you are using?!?
skibum1981 wrote:Hi All. I really love Cinnamon, but unfortunately I'd say it's not entirely usable, or at the least seems very alpha-ish in terms of stability. I understand it's a new project and all, but it frequently crashes and automatically restarts after crashing, probably once every two or three minutes while I'm using the desktop. I've noticed it seems to happen when moving Windows around, and typically with Google Chrome, but not always. Occasionally, maybe once every two or three hours of use, Cinnamon doesn't automatically restart, the window boarders/manager disappears entirely, and there's no way to restart it (ALT+F2 doesn't work, no keyboard shortcuts work, etc.), so the only thing I can do is restart the computer (can't log out, either).

Does anyone else have these kinds of problems? I think it's a great product, but just hoping that these bugs will be sorted. I didn't see much in terms of topics on crashes, so I'm wondering if it's just me? I do have three different computers running Mint, and all have the same problems, so I doubt it, but figured I should ask others what their experience is....
Cheers Frank

Success is a journey, not a destination!

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:21 am

frank_claessen wrote: I missed what version you are using?!?
He's using Cinnamon 1.4 according to the title, but I don't know what OS (LM 12, Ubuntu, etc). My guess is LM 12.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing

skibum1981
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skibum1981 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Linux Mint 12. ATI cards in the two desktops, but laptop is Intel integrated graphics. Problems with all 3....

Most recently on my work desktop, I log in to LM12 and neither Gnome nor Cinnamon load; it's as if the window manager has already crashed when I log in (i.e., no panels, no window boarders, etc.). I'm stuck with MATE only!!!!

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:37 pm

skibum1981 wrote:Linux Mint 12. ATI cards in the two desktops, but laptop is Intel integrated graphics. Problems with all 3....

Most recently on my work desktop, I log in to LM12 and neither Gnome nor Cinnamon load; it's as if the window manager has already crashed when I log in (i.e., no panels, no window boarders, etc.). I'm stuck with MATE only!!!!
ATI and gnome shell don't get along at all (and cinnamon is based on gnome shell). On the laptop, it depends on how good the hardware is, but I don't really know why it wouldn't work.

searle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by searle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:00 am

Just noticed this thread...

I was having the same issues constantly. Now, however, I've lost all functionality, very similar to one of the regular crashes but immediately when I log in.

ATI card as well.

skibum1981
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skibum1981 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:11 pm

It's definitely the ATI card. If I don't install fglrx, it works flawlessly. As soon as I do, aforementioned bugs occur. It's definitely better with Catalyst 12.4 but still has a long way to go before being usable....

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Mon May 07, 2012 11:23 pm

1.4 has been incredibly stable for me. No issues really to this point. Not sure what to make of your problem

Robin

skibum1981
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skibum1981 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:28 am

Read posts ....

Return to “Cinnamon”