Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Gaugamela
Level 1
Level 1

Feedback on Cinnamon 1.4

Post by Gaugamela »

Hello everyone,

I would like to give my feedback on Cinnamon 1.4 since I think that there's a couple of things that it would improve even further an amazing DE.
I came to Linux Min 12 from Windows 7 after trying Ubuntu 11.04.
IMO, Mint is the best distro out there and I love the commitment to provide the most polished user experience above a filosofy of pure open-source. Some may not like this, but it's one of the main reasons why I like Mint. I also have great respect by the vision of Clement Lefevbre and the great work that was done with Mate and Cinnamon.

In Cinnamon there's some small improvements that I feel should be added to the system:
- In the Cinnamon Settings - Themes --> Other Settings there should be a preview of how changing the different themes will change the look of the Windows, Icons, GTK+, etc with at least a screenshot of the new look. To see how changing themes impacts the looks of the system it is really annoying to have to log out every. single. time!

- I'm not sure if I didn't found this feature or it is non-existent but is it possible to select more than one image for wallpaper and have it as a slideshow? If not then it would be a great addition to the theme.

- The file manager is too simplistic, and at least needs an Up button. It's one thing that I really miss. Not sure if it is the default Gnome 3 file manager but if so maybe you guys should consider forking dolphin from KDE and implement it in Cinnamon. It's much more versatile and powerful than Nautilus.

- Not sure if new applets can de developed for this but it would be great if I could pin bookmarks and folders that I open frequently in the file manager applet or if the Places and Bookmarks applet could be further developed to include this. Maybe work on the Recent Documents applet to allow us to pin frequently visited folders/documents in that list.

- Replace the Cinnamon Window List with a Icon list with Window previews (with close buttons in the previews) - ideally the Icon list would allow me to pin frequently visited files of each of the icons to them. Think something similar to DockbarX (maybe port that to Cinnamon?).

-Include more applets, themes and extensions when installing Cinnamon. It's annoying having to visit the website and installing each of these manually. I know that there's already a repository with many of these available, but something more "official" should be created.

- Another thing: although the default Cinnamon theme is great I would love to see the Mint classic Menu make a return (if not as default at least as a pre-installed applet). If possible adopt a theme close to the Gnome 2 Mint look because it was simply beautiful. At least change the default Window theme from the horrible Gnome 3 default to the classic Mint Z theme.

- When Panel edit mode is off it should be impossible to add applets to the panel and right clicking on applets should give contextual menus related to said applets to increase their functionality. When Panel Edit mode is On allow configuration of applets as well.

I know that many of these things will probably give a lot of work and I would love to help if I was anything more than a mere user with no programming skills whatsoever so I hope not to offend anyone with this feedback. I just want to help Mint jump to greater heights and this is what I can do to help. When I have time I'll submit some of these ideas to the Community website if I get some feedback in here. :)
Last edited by Gaugamela on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Feedback on Cinnamon 1.4

Post by AlbertP »

Gaugamela wrote:- I'm not sure if I didn't found this feature or it is non-existent but is it possible to select more than one image for wallpaper and have it as a slideshow? If not then it would be a great addition to the theme.

- The file manager is too simplistic, and at least needs an Up button. It's one thing that I really miss. Not sure if it is the default Gnome 3 file manager but if so maybe you guys should consider forking dolphin from KDE and implement it in Cinnamon. It's much more versatile and powerful than Nautilus.
File manager and desktop are still Gnome 3's.
Gaugamela wrote:- Replace the Cinnamon Window List with a Icon list
There's an Iconized Window List applet. I don't know how well it works.
Gaugamela wrote:- Another thing: although the default Cinnamon theme is great I would love to see the Mint classic Menu make a return (if not as default at least as a pre-installed applet).
There is already an applet for this menu on http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Gaugamela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gaugamela »

AlbertP wrote:
Gaugamela wrote:- I'm not sure if I didn't found this feature or it is non-existent but is it possible to select more than one image for wallpaper and have it as a slideshow? If not then it would be a great addition to the theme.

File manager and desktop are still Gnome 3's.
Gaugamela wrote:- Replace the Cinnamon Window List with a Icon list
There's an Iconized Window List applet. I don't know how well it works.
Gaugamela wrote:- Another thing: although the default Cinnamon theme is great I would love to see the Mint classic Menu make a return (if not as default at least as a pre-installed applet).
There is already an applet for this menu on http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets.
Uhm, I know about the Iconized Window list applet. It doesn't work great, and it would be great to see a more powerful list as default in Cinnamon.
As for the classic Mint Menu, the applet is almost perfect but it is buggy (when opening it sometimes the "favorites" button jumps out of the borders of the menu). And it, as many other applets should come pre-installed as default.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Gaugamela wrote: -Include more applets, themes and extensions when installing Cinnamon. It's annoying having to visit the website and installing each of these manually. I know that there's already a repository with many of these available, but something more "official" should be created.
Can I ask why an unofficial PPA isn't as good as an official? It makes no difference to you as a user who uploads the packages and it would take precious Cinnamon refinement time away from the devs if they had to create and maintain a repo for user made themes, applets and extensions.

Instead of asking for setups you like to be imitated by developers so you don't have o do anything, you should get used to the Linux spirit that as long as you can easily add software or docks everything's gravy. E.g. if you want iconized window lists, install a dock like AWN which will take care of that for you. I don't know, I prefer a top panel only mode with a dock below but I'd feel either stupid or like an arse if I were nagging developers that they should do this too because I like it better that way.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Gaugamela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gaugamela »

bimsebasse wrote:
Gaugamela wrote: -Include more applets, themes and extensions when installing Cinnamon. It's annoying having to visit the website and installing each of these manually. I know that there's already a repository with many of these available, but something more "official" should be created.
Can I ask why an unofficial PPA isn't as good as an official? It makes no difference to you as a user who uploads the packages and it would take precious Cinnamon refinement time away from the devs if they had to create and maintain a repo for user made themes, applets and extensions.

Instead of asking for setups you like to be imitated by developers so you don't have o do anything, you should get used to the Linux spirit that as long as you can easily add software or docks everything's gravy. E.g. if you want iconized window lists, install a dock like AWN which will take care of that for you. I don't know, I prefer a top panel only mode with a dock below but I'd feel either stupid or like an arse if I were nagging developers that they should do this too because I like it better that way.
I already added your ppa and used it to install a lot of applets and themes. However, for someone new it would be much better if that work could be avoided because not every newbie will do it. Maybe your ppa could be pre-included in Mint 13 Software center? If takes time away from the devs, then ofcourse that if you can maintain it, it would be a better choice. :P

As for getting in the Linux spirit I think that jab was a bit uncalled for. If I am giving this feedback it's because I want things to improve as well.
IMO iconized window lists facilitate multitasking a LOT and I don't want to see a reason to Windows being superior to Mint in that aspect because right now it is. And could you tell me why can't there be an applet for a iconized window list in Cinnamon? By getting more features, Cinnamon will become a more feature rich desktop environment and even more superior to Gnome 3 and Unity. For example, KDE has windows previews as well which is very useful. Maybe work on the Cina Dock extension and polish it more? It seems to be a work in progress and maybe that could be what is necessary. :)

And by the way I have DockbarX, AWN, Docky, Cairo Dock installed in my system and I also tried Cina Dock and use it with the same configuration as you. I like Cairo Dock the most, but since I don't seem to be able to have more than one Wine program pinned to it I can't use it that often and the Recent Documents applet from them only lists doc files and no spreadsheet or presentation files.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

There is both an icon dock applet and an icon dock extension but of course they're both being developed by single individuals, I think one of them is even abandoned. Clem and the Mint team I think simply prefer a traditional window list over docks. We also have to respect that Mint in many ways is the traditionalist refuge, that's to a large extent what has made Mint such a popular distro and moving away from a traditional setup however slightly might benefit you or me but not Mint or Mint users as a whole.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The applets from Cinnamon Spices generally aren't made by the Mint team. If you find them buggy it's probably better to create a comment at the applet itself instead.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Gaugamela
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gaugamela »

Will do that. :) Thanks for the reply!

Return to “Cinnamon”