[Solved] Is to possible to have SpaceRace login theme on 19.x?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
patday8472

[Solved] Is to possible to have SpaceRace login theme on 19.x?

Post by patday8472 »

Is to possible to have SpaceRace login theme on 19.x? I like how the ships move.

Mod-Sorry if wrong place for question.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is to possible to have SpaceRace login theme on 19.x?

Post by smurphos »

You'll need to swap display/login manager to MDM from lightDM. MDM is no longer maintained and also relies on the deprecated gksu.

Despite that it is doable in 19.x see viewtopic.php?f=90&t=274884
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
patday8472

Post by patday8472 »

Edited to remove stuff that won't work.

I tried holding mdm it won't work with lightdm installed, they conflict with each other.

You have to switch to lightdm & get rid of MDM temporally.

What I am try to see if the gksu hold will work, tell its upgrade to 19.1 before switching to MDM. gksu is set to lock with synaptic and is set to hold with apt-mark.

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/timeshift.json

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark hold gksu
Last edited by patday8472 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Personally I wouldn't bother trying the upgrade path, particularly with an attempt to modify it - no idea if that would work. And I think it is short-sighted to dismiss the usefulness of a pre-upgrade timeshift snapshot as an insurance policy for a failed upgrade. There have been a fair number of failed upgrades reported for 18.3 > 19

I'd recommend backup your stuff (aptik can be helpful for package lists for reinstall etc - https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik-gtk). Fresh install, restore and then try and apply the workaround linked above to install the packages necessary.

LightDM doesn't support MDM themes.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
patday8472

Post by patday8472 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 am Personally I wouldn't bother trying the upgrade path, particularly with an attempt to modify it - no idea if that would work. And I think it is short-sighted to dismiss the usefulness of a pre-upgrade timeshift snapshot as an insurance policy for a failed upgrade. There have been a fair number of failed upgrades reported for 18.3 > 19

I'd recommend backup your stuff (aptik can be helpful for package lists for reinstall etc - https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik-gtk). Fresh install, restore and then try and apply the workaround linked above to install the packages necessary.

LightDM doesn't support MDM themes.
Timeshift takes too long. I have my own backup programs, since I dual boot. I read on the failed updates, I can't remember but one is a simple fix & can resume installation. According to one of the posters, that linked article is to old. Never said if he got it working though-unless I missed it. I do know holding & locking gksu from xubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 works. I never could get mdm installed though. Yes, I tried the links (I think one is dead-don't recall).

There should be an easy way to get the mdm themes to work on 19.x
That one of the main reason I liked Linux mint. Yes, I know you can configure LightDM to use the wallpaper. For example in SpaceRace LightDM wouldn't show the ships moving.

Why in the world does mdm themes need root access everytime? It could be reworked to work with LightDM.

I had other issues with my systems anyway when I upgrade to 19.x and even with a clean install. I am going to have to consider keeping 18.3 even when support ends. I am also deciding whether or not to keep windows 7 sp1 after support ends. I have two computers that I dual boot. One is W7 with Linux mint 18.3 the other is W10 with Linux mint 18.3
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

patday8472 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am Yes, I tried the links (I think one is dead-don't recall).
I fixed the outdated link a few days ago.
patday8472

Post by patday8472 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:34 am
patday8472 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 am Yes, I tried the links (I think one is dead-don't recall).
I fixed the outdated link a few days ago.
Thank You, I may try a clean install or an upgrade. I am curious if mintupgrade will honor either apt hold or synaptic lock. I found out you can set both. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the gksu part.
patday8472

Post by patday8472 »

Holding & locking gksu & libgksu2-0 during upgrade did work

After upgrading 19.00 to 19.1
Install the themes also worked as well. You did need to remove lightdm using synaptic, not apt.

However, I would recommend a clean install because of other issues. It messed up the taskbar and it also change the grub settings and installed the boot loader. I had a different boot loader installed. There were several errors during upgrade.
patday8472

Post by patday8472 »

smurphos.

As I said in the other post, the clean install, won't let me install libgksu2-0_2.0.13_pre1-6ubuntu8_amd64 and that I am using is Xfce 19.1

Is there another file or even an older gksu version that might install?

I tried to look for complete older debs as well. So far no luck.

However, I did find an arch repository that had gksu It seems that would even be harder to install.

Just out of curiosity is this site safe to download from? pkgs.org
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I've fixed the links again in the other thread to pull a later version of libgksu which doesn't have that dependency

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/ ... g/libgksu/
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/ ... _amd64.deb
patday8472

Post by patday8472 »

Thank you.

Update, got gksuo & Mdm themes working. I had to find another mint-mdm-themes_2014.10.29_all.deb for some strange reason mdm_2.0.19+sylvia_amd64 didn't see it installed. Yes mint-mdm-themes_2014.10.29 did say it was installed.

I just don't understand why Clem didn't modify the mdm to work with pkexec.

I will mark this thread solved. I think that what attracted some people over here from other distros.

Off topic question. Would those new gksu files work in xubuntu 18.04 lts?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [Solved] Is to possible to have SpaceRace login theme on 19.x?

Post by smurphos »

No worries.

I think was basically a case that the Mint team made the decision almost a year before 18.04/Mint 19 that MDM was deprecated and put out to pasture - it's not had any development other than translation updates since late 2016 (Mint 18.1) and Mint 18.2 and 18.3 both came with LightDM/SlickGreeter as default - MDM was only in the repos for those versions to avoid over complicating upgrades from 18.1 > 18.2 > 18.3 were the switch from MDM to LightDM was an optional manual step.

Yep those versions of gksu should work on an 18.04 installation (as long as it's not running Wayland) - I was reminded of the existence of that deb archive as an alternative source by this thread on askubuntu - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1030054 ... untu-18-04
patday8472

Re: [Solved] Is to possible to have SpaceRace login theme on 19.x?

Post by patday8472 »

Off topic post.

I was brave an tried this with Xububtu 18.04 LTS

It does work.

Do not remove lightdm

Install the files using the default gnome software center already installed. It may show not installed, when it is installed. Don't use the gdebi, it doesn't work with gnome software center installed. Gksu & the lib will install & work but MDM doesn't fully install. You have to run synaptic & search for MDM. Chose all related files-it easy to figure out. When asked change the display manager to MDM & then exit synaptic when done & reboot. You will get a light locker error from xububtu, just ignore it. You can remove that using synaptic without issue. You can use either the power manager or screensaver control to lock the system. I would recommend locking MDM, gksu, and gksu lib files, so it won't get remove on an update or upgrade. You can use synaptic to do that.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”