Creating icons

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DaFin
Level 1
Level 1

Creating icons

Post by DaFin »

Hi! So, I want to create my own icons for certain "apps", and I'm asking if there was a certain file format that I should use (png, jpg, svg, etc.)? Also what is the maximum/best resolution for icons? And thanks for the answers.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Creating icons

Post by kyphi »

Icons can come in various sizes. I have a folder in my Home directory for my icon collection. This makes it easy to change to an icon that appeals to me. Formats vary: jpg, png, ico, ICO, gif, svg. They are just images.
Sizes vary: 32, 48, 64, 96, 128 and bigger.

Have a closer look at the icons you already have, e.g Firefox original (128x128), Thunderbird (128x128), Supertux (512x512). It looks like 128x128 may be a good size. They are shrunk to fit.

Take a look at the icons available here to see about formats and sizes: http://www.iconarchive.com/tag/linux-mint
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jackerbes »

kyphi wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:44 pm
Icons can come in various sizes. I have a folder in my Home directory for my icon collection. This makes it easy to change to an icon that appeals to me. Formats vary: jpg, png, ico, ICO, gif, svg. They are just images.
Sizes vary: 32, 48, 64, 96, 128 and bigger.

Have a closer look at the icons you already have, e.g Firefox original (128x128), Thunderbird (128x128), Supertux (512x512). It looks like 128x128 may be a good size. They are shrunk to fit.

Take a look at the icons available here to see about formats and sizes: http://www.iconarchive.com/tag/linux-mint
I'm using 64 bit 19.2 Tara and find the icons on the desktop a little too small and also crowded together too tightly. When I researched it a while back I thought I had found that when you take the default Cinnamon 3.8.9 for a desktop there are very few options. You can add a few things from the System Settings > Desktop menu but I could not find any provision for changing the size of spacing of the stuff on the desktop.

I don't want to do anything too labor intensive or complicated but am I missing something here?

Jacki
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

jackerbes wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:44 pm
I'm using 64 bit 19.2 Tara and find the icons on the desktop a little too small and also crowded together too tightly. When I researched it a while back I thought I had found that when you take the default Cinnamon 3.8.9 for a desktop there are very few options. You can add a few things from the System Settings > Desktop menu but I could not find any provision for changing the size of spacing of the stuff on the desktop.

I don't want to do anything too labor intensive or complicated but am I missing something here?
I'll assume you are using 19.1 because 19.2 is not out yet.
Yes, you are possibly missing the settings that come up when you rightclick the desktop and choose Customize. There are sliders at the bottom and right edge of the window to adjust the horizontal and vertical spacing of the desktop icons. Furthermore, there is a setting for Icon Size right at the top.

desktopsettings.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jackerbes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jackerbes »

OK, I don't know how I missed it before but a right click brings up choices that include "Desktop >" and that flyout has the settings for size and other details about the Desktop icons.

Thanks for the help! I guess us old geezers just need it... :>)

And you're right about the 19.2 thing too of course, I was thinking of another app that I have (GPSprine) that is version 19.2. Here is what my system info says:

System: Host: jack-SL510 Kernel: 4.15.0-38-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu2) dm: lightdm Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Jack
Mint 18.3 and 19, 64-bit, Cinnamon, Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 laptop, ASUS Z-97 desktop, Samsung S6 Android phone
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, ME, USA

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

jackerbes wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:22 am
Thanks for the help! I guess us old geezers just need it... :>)
You're welcome, glad I could help!
Now I notice that you are not actually the one who posted the topic, though, so can you please from now on make a new topic for questions you have, and not piggyback on someone elses question? Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH »

Tip I only learnt recently when also designing a couple of new icons - make sure they are square. I had one that was, let's say, 128x156, displayed okay but was blurred. Resized it to 128x128, perfect!
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”