Controlling the font in the Cinnamon menu and the panel

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dbet1
Level 1
Level 1

Controlling the font in the Cinnamon menu and the panel

Post by dbet1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:52 am

I changed the font from Noto Sans Regular to Ubuntu Regular because that's the default font in Mint 19.2. I did not like that, so I put it back on Noto Sans Regular.
However, the Cinnamon panel and menu still use the Ubuntu Regular font. That was not the case before. How is the font controlled for these elements?

dbet1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Controlling the font in the Cinnamon menu and the panel

Post by dbet1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 am

I think I have found the problem.

Although you can basically define the font used for the desktop, the font used in the theme is fixed. So the topic determines the font in the menu and in the panel. That does not really fit, that one can select the fonts otherwise.

I have now changed the font in the CSS file of the corresponding topic. This is not nice, because this file will be overwritten by an update sometime.
So far, the Mint themes used the font Noto Sans, new Ubuntu. All topics have been adjusted accordingly.

One reason why I like Mint better than Ubuntu, so far was the font.

Because of this experience I have m.E. found a serious flaw in the Cinnamon desktop.

twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:29 pm

dbet1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 am
I think I have found the problem.

Although you can basically define the font used for the desktop, the font used in the theme is fixed. So the topic determines the font in the menu and in the panel. That does not really fit, that one can select the fonts otherwise.

I have now changed the font in the CSS file of the corresponding topic. This is not nice, because this file will be overwritten by an update sometime.
So far, the Mint themes used the font Noto Sans, new Ubuntu. All topics have been adjusted accordingly.

One reason why I like Mint better than Ubuntu, so far was the font.

Because of this experience I have m.E. found a serious flaw in the Cinnamon desktop.
To prevent your modified theme from being overwritten by an update, copy the theme from /usr/share/themes to your home folder /home/name/.themes and do your modifications there. And, it won't be overwritten. I like to change the name slightly so I will know what that theme does differently.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 am

dbet1 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 am
The issue is on the developers roadmap albeit more in the context of lack of control of the panel font-size, rather than general font characteristics hard-coded in theme in general. But I'd hope that if they eventually address the former they would also give the user control on the other font characteristics currently hard-coded in the users choice of cinnamon desktop theme.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

dbet1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dbet1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:00 am

twodogs wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:29 pm

To prevent your modified theme from being overwritten by an update, copy the theme from /usr/share/themes to your home folder /home/name/.themes and do your modifications there. And, it won't be overwritten. I like to change the name slightly so I will know what that theme does differently.
Thank you for this hint. I have done that.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”