Startup / shutdown sounds

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spikespiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Startup / shutdown sounds

Post by spikespiegel »

Hi everyone,

I'm using Linux Mint 20.2 with Cinnamon and I have a simple question. Where can I find different
sounds for startup and shutdown? The system have only one sound in the library for each task, nothing else.
Thanks!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Startup / shutdown sounds

Post by JoeFootball »

spikespiegel wrote: Where can I find different
sounds for startup and shutdown?
You can use just about any sound file you'd like. If the format isn't supported natively, you can convert it to .ogg with ffmpeg or similar.

For example: ffmpeg -i input_file_name.mp3 output_file_name.ogg
dvirberlo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dvirberlo »

Hi,
you can manually download sounds to your computer and choose them as your sound effects.
there are many free sounds libraries for those purpese:
https://freesound.org/
https://developers.google.com/assistant ... nd-library
and more.

Neverthenless, maybe you should ask linux mint team to add more optional sound effects in future version of LinuxMint (If it had not already been asked).
I am not sure, but I think sound effects are under cinnamon project: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues

Best of luck.
If your issue was solved please edit the title and add [SOLVED]. It can be very useful for others as well.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

It is probably better to add those new sounds to /usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds. You could probably just add them to some personal directory, but by placing them into this root directory, you ensure they are available at shutdown and startup, and for all users.

To do so, you could just simply right-click on this /usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds folder to Open as Root.
Or else, you could do:

Code: Select all

sudo cp YOUR-SOUND-NAME.oga /usr/share/mint-artwork/sounds
Then, as you already know as a Cinnamon user, you just have to choose Sound from your menu, then go the Sounds section, and change your sounds from there.
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
spikespiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spikespiegel »

Thanks everybody !

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”