How to get rounded bottom corners of windows in Mint-Y theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

How to get rounded bottom corners of windows in Mint-Y theme

Post by senjoz »

In the Mint-Y theme only both top window corners are rounded. Is it possible to also get rounded bottom corners?

I edited the file /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml, added rounded_bottom_left="8" in the GEOMETRY section and rebooted.

Code: Select all

<!-- ::: GEOMETRY ::: -->

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium" rounded_top_left="8" rounded_top_right="8" rounded_bottom_left="8">
	<distance name="left_width" value="1" />
	<distance name="right_width" value="1" />
	<distance name="bottom_height" value="1" />
	<distance name="left_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
	<distance name="right_titlebar_edge" value="0"/>
	<distance name="title_vertical_pad" value="0"/>
	<border name="title_border" left="12" right="8" top="3" bottom="3"/>
	<border name="button_border" left="0" right="0" top="0" bottom="0"/>
	<distance name="button_width" value="32"/>
  	<distance name="button_height" value="30"/>
</frame_geometry>
That had no effect on the bottom left corner.

Regards, Jože
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to get rounded bottom corners of windows in Mint-Y theme

Post by AndyMH »

I noticed that as well, decided that rounded top and square bottom corners looked odd. Changed to mint-x borders where the top borders are less rounded so it doesn't look as odd.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Yes. I agree. I would like having four rounded corners. Not only two. It really looks odd with this round top and square bottom. But there are currently some reasons that will lead me into trying to make them all square instead.

First, there is a subtle little bug with those new top corners: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint20.3-beta/issues/26

Second, i really don't like seeing nice round corners when the window is in the middle of the screen, and then, oops, design gets changed to square when I push tile left (Super+Left) or right (Super+Right). Yes, I understand this is probably because the window should be square when maximized. But it should always have round corners in all other conditions, IMHO.

So, I will try some tweaks to make all four corners square at all times. Sometime later...

It would have been nice to make them all round, but making it all square sounds easier, and it also avoids at least two other issues. :)
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

I guess all I have to do is to revert this commit https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-theme ... 42a7528f33 to get square corners ? Not exactly, I don't want to go back to 3px, I want 0px. But, just looking at this commit, it will probably be easy. I'll try this later.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks for the info
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

I believe that files /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-3.0/gtk-dark.css control only gtk3 applications like Calculator or Archive Manager. Other applications are controlled through the file /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml and maybe files in /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0.

If I change file metacity-theme-3.xml as below (from rounded_top_left="8" to rounded_top_left="0"),

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium" rounded_top_left="0" rounded_top_right="8">
I get next window
Screenshot from 2022-01-18 17-22-58.png

If I change rounded_top_left="8" to rounded_top_left="16", I get next window
Screenshot from 2022-01-18 17-37-52.png

But, I cannot find a way to make the bottom corners rounded.

Regards, Jože
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

so cinnamon developers have nothing better to do but change things around that users are familiar with, and then users waste their time undoing their work. maybe they should take a lesson from Deepin Desktop where a user has ability to select in themes very rounded, mostly rounded or not at all and move on with their life.

i do not endorse Deepin it's got lots of issues and security flaws, but at least you don't need to become a rocket scientist to make your system look and feel to your basic liking.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

trytip wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:05 pm so cinnamon developers have nothing better to do but change things around that users are familiar with, and then users waste their time undoing their work.
I like rounded window corners, but only if all four corners are rounded. Two rounded window corners and two rectangular window corners look unpleasant to me. I do not understand what developers had in mind.

Regards, Jože
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

I believe that files /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-3.0/gtk-dark.css control only gtk3 applications like Calculator or Archive Manager. Other applications are controlled through the file /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml and maybe files in /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/gtk-2.0.
That's right. And sometimes it gets worst.

Example: In Menu > Preferences > Themes, Set "Controls" to Mint-Y and "Window borders" to Mint-Y-Legacy. Now open Xed. The bottom is square and the top is... almost square. So it doesn't look so bad. Now, in this same Xed, go to Help > Keyboard Shortcuts... This Keyboard Shortcuts window is made with those GTK big round corners ! EDIT: I like round corners. I like square corners too. The problem here is that you get a strange mix of both types in the same application.

But the developers want to make all windows with GTK. No more Metacity. That's planned for... sometime later. Mint 21 if I remember correctly. So, I guess this will be solved, one day.

● ● ●

<frame_geometry name="normal" title_scale="medium" rounded_top_left="0" rounded_top_right="8">
This screenshot of yours still shows a tiny round corner, on the left side ? Or should I get new glasses ?

● ● ●
So cinnamon developers have nothing better to do but change things around that users are familiar with, and then users waste their time undoing their work.
You can easily get the old Mint-Y: apt install mint-themes-legacy. But I guess this old one will not get any updates and bug fixes anymore. And there are a few things made better on the new Mint-Y. So, that's why some people, including me, are struggling to make a better new Mint-Y. For a new and better world. ...Or just to go through winter and then take a break from rocket science. :)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

senjoz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:46 pm I like rounded window corners, but only if all four corners are rounded. Two rounded window corners and two rectangular window corners look unpleasant to me. I do not understand what developers had in mind.

Regards, Jože
download the manajaro deepin and try test it out, if you love rounded corners, it has lots of potential provided developers don't go crazy. https://youtu.be/XxLjmwXucLw?t=276 <<< see how it looks.
it would be something to see a Mint version of the Deepin Desktop
pinguino58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pinguino58 »

I find the rounded corners to be frustrating as resizing a window requires you to grab the true corner of the window which is outside the rounded corner. More times than not, I end up xing out the window.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

sebastjava wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:02 pm

This screenshot of yours still shows a tiny round corner, on the left side ? Or should I get new glasses ?
It looks to me like the window border is rectangular but the titlebar corner is rounded. Here is magnified top-left corner:
Screenshot from 2022-01-19 06-54-14.png

Regards, Jože
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

senjoz wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:00 pm I edited the file /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml, added rounded_bottom_left="8" in the GEOMETRY section and rebooted.
No need to reboot. No need to logout/login.

Just open Menu > Preferences > Themes. From there, change to Mint-X and then back to Mint-Y. This is a simple and quick way to force refresh.

Or try this:

# Force refresh
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Mint-Y-Blue'
gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Mint-Y'

gsettings set org.cinnamon.theme name 'Mint-Y-Blue'
gsettings set org.cinnamon.theme name 'Mint-Y-Dark'
As found on https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-theme ... est-mint-y. (I haven't tested this, yet.)
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

sebastjava wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:18 am No need to reboot. No need to logout/login.

Just open Menu > Preferences > Themes. From there, change to Mint-X and then back to Mint-Y. This is a simple and quick way to force refresh.
I have noticed that before. Thank you anyway for your information!

New Mint-Y theme is not to my taste. I prefer Mint-X theme. I have managed to get rounded bottom corners in the Mint-X theme editing file /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml. But, a new problem arose, a dark area at the bottom. That dark area was added to the window area after editing metacity-theme-3.xml.

Screenshot from 2022-01-19 18-14-48.png

Regards, Jože
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Just something I found worth saying. You probably already know this. You have seen it before. I don't know if it will help or not. Probably not, since you are looking at Metacity, not GTK.

For GTK 3, there is this nice Widget Factory. It let's you see and test all elements in GTK 3. It is a part of the gtk-3-examples package. I think there is also another one, somewhere, for GTK 2. There is an Inspector in there that shows lots of information for each element you click on. Check this screenshot.

WidgetFactory.png

P.S.: I like your colored C_title_focused. That's a bold and sober way to clearly distinguish between focused and unfocused.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

I modified the Mint-X theme (file /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml) to get all window corners rounded. As far as I can see, most applications, which use Metacity, look okay. I am quite satisfied despite the fact that arcs at window corners are not perfect.

Maybe my next step would be to adjust the Mint-X theme for gtk3 applications.

Regards, Jože

Screenshot from 2022-01-21 13-30-55.png
fbachofner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fbachofner »

I also strongly dislike the only-top-corners-rounded default of Mint-Y. Hopefully Clem and co will reconsider.

This is the first time I have any real "gripe" with the (otherwise) elegance of Mint.

Thanks for pointing out a solution.

It all has me thinking of trying KDE again (which I have not done for some time!) :roll: :mrgreen:
various self-built desktop machines and a MiniForums U550 mini-PC
each runs LinuxMint 20.3 with Cinnamon
i7 self-built server --> Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTR (with Cinnamon, for the rare GUI login)
various VPSes --> Ubuntu Server LTR (headless)
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

sebastjava wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:59 pm P.S.: I like your colored C_title_focused. That's a bold and sober way to clearly distinguish between focused and unfocused.
Colored border lines can improve distinguishing.

Regards, Jože

Screenshot from 2022-01-25 15-17-26.png
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Did you know ? You don't have to do sudo edits at every 30 seconds. Always entering your password, just for a quick instant test on /usr/share/themes ? No way !

Instead, you can duplicate the entire theme into ~/.themes. This ~/.themes overrides your /usr/share/themes, so you don't have to erase anything. Now, you can just do any quick edit, without going sudo because this is in your home directory. Just save the file and then force refresh the theme, example: choose Mint-Y and then choose Mint-X back again.

When all testings are okay, you can replace /usr/share/themes/<YourTheme> all at once, so <YourTheme> is available as root, on your login window, and for every user.

P.S.: I succeeded in getting perfect square corners in ~/.themes/Mint-Y/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml... :)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”