How to save layout theme setups in Linux Mint Cinnamon

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
James19932022
Level 2
Level 2

How to save layout theme setups in Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by James19932022 »

In Linux Mint Cinnamon, i "have" a few theme layout setups. My question is this: how can i "save" them? is there such a feature in mint? any tips would help. also, im using Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon with the 5.2.7 kernel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to save layout theme setups in Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by smurphos »

Most of the relevant settings (themes, panel set-up and panel contents) are in dconf.

You can take a backup of dconf settings using the command dconf dump, and restore from a backup using command dconf load

E.g where cinnamon_backup is the name of the backup file.

Code: Select all

dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > cinnamon_backup

dconf load /org/cinnamon/ < cinnamon_backup
Worth you installing dconf-editor to explore the contents of dconf in a GUI to decide whether this method works for you.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
James19932022
Level 2
Level 2

Post by James19932022 »

ok, thanks.

would this allow me to save my theme and layout? i mean, if i use another theme ad layout, woud i be able to go back to my ppprevious one,

thanks
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

I am not sure i understand your question...

In Cinnamon Menu > Preferences > Themes you can set different combinations of:
  • Window borders
  • Icons
  • Controls
  • Mouse Pointer
  • Desktop
All the themes you install or download are already saved in:
/usr/share/themes or ~/.themes
/usr/share/icons or ~/.icons

You can switch from one to another at any time, they are always there, already saved, and always available.

But i guess you specifically wanted to save your preferred combinations of:
  • Window borders
  • Icons
  • Controls
  • Mouse Pointer
  • Desktop
Then i guess the best way to do that would be by using the dconf dump method as described by smurphos in the previous post. Or just handwrite your custom settings ? I mean, we are only talking about different combinations of those five choices listed above, right ?
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
James19932022
Level 2
Level 2

Post by James19932022 »

HI,

what i mean is that i downloaded a pannel taskbar that i really like (silk) and an alternate menu icon. my questions is this: if i decide to use another pannel taskbar layout with a different menu icon, would i be able to "save" my first "layout"? i hope this explanation helps,
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Ah, okay. I just did a quick search.

So, this Silk theme can be found in https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/Silk
OR, more conveniently, from your Themes Add/Remove tab (search: Silk).

Looking at the source code https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... files/Silk i find this is only a cinnamon theme, which means it can only be found in your Cinnamon Menu > Preferences > Themes > Desktop section. In other words, this theme only applies for the menu, panel, and calendar, AFAIK. But there is something special with the menu icon. It seems to be a part of the panel. It looks like some custom engineering. I tried to test it but it just overlaps with my own custom icon. It doesn't work well here. That's possibly because i am using this Cinnamenu: https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/322 There seems to be some sort of conflict between your Silk and my Cinnamenu. I don't know, maybe.

Anyway, short story, if i got it right: you downloaded this Silk theme, then selected it in Themes > Desktop section. And you got a custom menu icon with it.

YES, you can go back to Themes > Desktop section and select some other theme from there. This will change the panel, and you should get your previous menu icon back.
YES, you can still go back to your Silk theme with his custom menu icon, just by selecting it again in Themes > Desktop section.

Don't be afraid to switch things back and forth and experiment on a daily basis. :)

In case you don't get your standard menu icon back, right-click an empty area on the panel to go to Applets. There, find Menu and click on the Configure button. From there you can select any menu icon. The default standard Mint icons are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps.

Inversely, in case something goes wrong with your Silk theme, i guess you could try a reset by removing it and adding it again, from your themes manager.
James19932022
Level 2
Level 2

Post by James19932022 »

thanks, i do"change" my layouts really often
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

James19932022 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:09 pm HI,

what i mean is that i downloaded a pannel taskbar that i really like (silk) and an alternate menu icon. my questions is this: if i decide to use another pannel taskbar layout with a different menu icon, would i be able to "save" my first "layout"? i hope this explanation helps,
The menu applet icon preference is saved in the menu applet config and is independent of your Desktop theme (I think that's what you mean by layout) - individual applet configs can be backed up and restored via right click on the applet > configure > hamburger menu (top right) > Export to a file / Import from a file.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

smurphos wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 am The menu applet icon preference is saved in the menu applet config and is independent of your Desktop theme
Usually, yes, but this Silk desktop theme is a special case. It comes with it's own animated menu icon. I tried to install it, but there was some conflict with my custom Cinnamenu https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/322 with my own personal custom menu icon. The Silk menu icon was displayed underneath my custom menu icon, instead of just replacing it. I just took a quick look at the source code on https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... aster/Silk and found these menu.png, menu1.png, menu2.png, and this Panel (panel.js) section in the cinnamon.css file. So, it seems this Silk desktop theme is trying to replace my menu icon, but it doesn't work well here, probably because of my own custom setup.

So yes, that's a good idea to save this menu applet config before trying anything else. As well as saving this dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ as mentioned before. To sum up my point here, i say there is no need to worry about saving the themes you are using, as they are already saved and always available, but on the other hand this is a special case where you need to make sure you remember, or save, all your configurations because there could be some conflict between this Silk desktop theme and your menu icon. But for sure, everything works fine when you change your Desktop theme to some other theme, i would just worry about getting this Silk theme back as it was...
James19932022
Level 2
Level 2

Post by James19932022 »

ah ok, thanks. ive changed my pannel taskbar to "Modern Mint Dark". it seems to work really with my custom menu icon, but i do tend to change my pannel taskbar regularly, same with my menu icon
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

sebastjava wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 am Usually, yes, but this Silk desktop theme is a special case. It comes with it's own animated menu icon.
Ah - just had a look - something of a cheap hack - particularly if you happen to have an applet that's not the menu in the left/top of any panel, or have your menu applet somewhere else entirely (it overwrites the icon for whatever applet is the first in the left/top section of any panel with the animated LM logo).

Also it's author is somewhat famous for churning out themes at a rate of knots, and never ever, ever maintaining them again - this one falls back to the base Cinnamon theme for so many elements that are missing as its not been touched for years.
James19932022
Level 2
Level 2

Post by James19932022 »

so there is no way to save a "profile" (a dekstop background, taskbar and general layout) then be able to "load" it??
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

James19932022 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:15 pm so there is no way to save a "profile" (a dekstop background, taskbar and general layout) then be able to "load" it??
Yes
smurphos wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:50 am Most of the relevant settings (themes, panel set-up and panel contents) are in dconf.

You can take a backup of dconf settings using the command dconf dump, and restore from a backup using command dconf load

E.g where cinnamon_backup is the name of the backup file.

dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > cinnamon_backup

dconf load /org/cinnamon/ < cinnamon_backup
Worth you installing dconf-editor to explore the contents of dconf in a GUI to decide whether this method works for you.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”