Simple theme extension for coloured active window

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Simple theme extension for coloured active window

Post by amc6010 »

On my Linux Mint 20.3 installs, I use OneColor XXL for window borders: https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1006952. Since Metacity themes aren't supported in Mint 21, I've been trying to find a similar alternative - and like many others, I've rolled my own solution.

I'm happy using Mint-Y themes, but I use different colour variants on different machines. Rather than creating lots of variants of different themes, I've created a CSS file which will colour the active window with the application theme main colour. And if you don't want to use a Mint-Y theme, or want to use a different colour for either the active or inactive window headers, you can just modify the colour constants defined at the top of the file.

I've also changed the hover-over for the window buttons to invert the background and foreground colours - which makes it resemble OneColor a bit more. Here's it in action:

Just sharing it in case anyone else wants to make use of it - you can get it here: https://github.com/the-allanc/minty-color-titles/

Edit: I've just made a modification to the file where you can have double sized minimise/maximise/close buttons - you just need to uncomment the section at the end.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Simple theme extension for coloured active window

Post by fblais »

Fantastic, thanks for that great work! 👍
--
Ce message provient du Québec! :)
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amc6010 »

Just made a small change to the file - now it colours the title bar for Mint-X themes as well.
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

A very nice fallback option, it at least makes my system semi-usable again.

But because the *geniuses* at the GNOME project broke GTK3/4, if you open up one of *their* applications it also sets the header-bar to the same color. Which looks kind of ugly (like most of GNOME).

Ultimately we need to find a way to *FORCE* GTK to start showing proper titlebars again. Ones that can show textures, gradients, etc again. I want my Esco titlebars back.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”