GTK theme preferences - Customize GTK themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GTK theme preferences - Customize GTK themes

Post by bug67 »

satya164 wrote:Hi. May be there is problem with the theme. Which theme are you using? Also did you try logging out and logging in back?
I'm using a theme called "Zukitwo." It doesn't seem to matter what theme I use though. I changed to the default Cinnamon theme, logged out/in with the same results. In fact I started Synaptic just to check and the progress bar while it was populating was my selected color, while the selection and selection indicators were still minty green! Like I said, this was on the default Cinnamon theme. :shock:
d00med wrote:The windows that are different look like ones you've opened as root. Perhaps try running the theme editor as root also?

You can change any aspect of a GTK theme with CSS, by editing the GTK3 theme's gtkwidget.css file.
I'll take a look and post back. Is there a comprehensive guide to editing these CSS files?
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/
d00med

Post by d00med »

bug67 wrote:I'll take a look and post back. Is there a comprehensive guide to editing these CSS files?
There's quite a lot, since CSS styles websites as well, but there's a lot of differences and limitations to GTK3's use of it. But, since you alluded to your favorite theme being older, possibly pre GTK3, it probably doesn't use CSS. Only the theme you're using now does, so no cut-and-pasting one theme file's elements to another there.
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

@bug67..
Unzip Zukitwo theme to:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/themes
As lassekongo (author) say:
"..The /.themes folder is only for your user. If you for example open Synaptic or any other administrative application it will not be styled.."
---
And yeap, Zukitwo works ok in both gtk3 and gtk2 :)

Edit:
And one more thing.
Don't mix the two (or more) configuration tools: gconf-editor or mateconf-editor (if You use Mint Mate) with dconf-editor.
Dconf is old and incompatible app, since Ubuntu 10.04 time. Especially with Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce etc. A lot of settings causes errors in theme configuration.

The principle is generally such:
Mint Mate -> mateconf-editor +/or Ubuntu Tweak
Mint Gnome3, GS, Cinnamon etc. -> gconf-editor +/or Ubuntu Tweak +/or Gnome Tweak Tool.
Mint Xfce -> xfconf +/or Ubuntu Tweak...

This is just an example.

If You mix tools from different environments, system goes crazy.
Mint loads somehow "partially" his "theme configuration".
One config part from Mate settings, and another part from Gnome settings.

That has happened in the past on my system ;)
---
In other words.. With a little patience, you can have effect like this - this is my desktop :)
https://plus.google.com/u/0/10710041428 ... qmrjHQ9aMj
Sam0789

Post by Sam0789 »

Its really very nice tool, so it helpful for everyone Linux users to adjust the colors as per their choice and preference.
rahulrajpl

Post by rahulrajpl »

This won't work on Cinnamon right? Just a doubt before I try install.
satya164

Post by satya164 »

rahulrajpl wrote:This won't work on Cinnamon right? Just a doubt before I try install.
Why not? Should work with any DE that uses gsettings, gconf or xfsettings.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”