Cinnamon crashes theme

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ShadWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon crashes theme

Post by ShadWolf »

I have this really annoying issue with Cinnamon and this issue happens everytime I exit a Steam Game, I close the game and then all a sudden out of nowhere the system plays the Login Sound and then Cinnamon crashes my theme to a crappy horrible theme, when I click to reload Cinnamon it doesn't correct it, I don't get that "Fallback" dialogue asking me if I want to restart Cinnamon, I killed it from the Troubleshoot menu to restart it, but it doesn't fix my theme back to my current usual theme I am using, it's GTK+ theme supported both in GTK2 and GTK3 styles. by default it's just using GTK3 theming engine.

Anyway… for some reason Cinnamon crashes my theme and restarting Cinnamon doesn't seem to work, and I'm just getting that Login sound after exiting a game with Steam, and I have to logout and back in again every time this happens just to get my theme back, but then happens again later when I exit out of a game on Steam and I have no idea why it's doing this every time.

I currently use LM16, I know I know, I should probably upgrade to 17, but I have my reasons why I haven't bothered upgrading yet. What can I do to diagnose this problem? Because I don't want to keep logging in and out every time it crashed to a crappy theme

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv2/ ... c771e4.png
expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon crashes theme

Post by expat_tony »

I've had exactly what you describe, also in the last couple of days. The "crappy old theme" seems to be one from Gnome days. What's different in my case is that Steam had nothing to do with it, I was trying out Firebug (HTML/CSS editor).
Two different people have successfully tried the following solution; one who also needed to recover Cinnamon, one who tried it on a working system to help me. He commented that none of his customisations were lost in the reinstall:

Code: Select all

apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
You may need sudo in front of the apt, just try it, I'm going to. But first could you tell me what graphics driver you're running? You can see it either in Driver Manager or with inxi -G in the terminal. My driver is nVidia 331. There are two other threads about this issue, makes at least four of us, so it looks like a bug.
ShadWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShadWolf »

expat_tony wrote:I've had exactly what you describe, also in the last couple of days. The "crappy old theme" seems to be one from Gnome days. What's different in my case is that Steam had nothing to do with it, I was trying out Firebug (HTML/CSS editor).
Two different people have successfully tried the following solution; one who also needed to recover Cinnamon, one who tried it on a working system to help me. He commented that none of his customisations were lost in the reinstall:

apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
You may need sudo in front of the apt, just try it, I'm going to. But first could you tell me what graphics driver you're running? You can see it either in Driver Manager or with inxi -G in the terminal. My driver is nVidia 331. There are two other threads about this issue, makes at least four of us, so it looks like a bug.

reinstalled it so hoping that it works.

As for graphics drivers… I've been having an impossible time trying to upgrade the drivers to the latest rolling release by NVIDIA my attempt at installing 331 version of the drivers resulted in screwed up unusable desktop set in 640x480 mode because it was staying stuck in fallback mode, so I'm stuck with the same old drivers at install. I cannot seem to figure out why this happens every time I attempt it. I might of forgotten something or missed a certain step in upgrading it so it works right after install.

Device Manager has been absolutely useless to me, it doesn't display anything that is suppose to at all, it's just blank with no information, etc…

I need a clean way of installing the latest NVIDIA drivers that doesn't result in a screwed up desktop, is there a way I can ensure I'm installing fresh with the drivers? remove any and all existing drivers that may conflict with it.

$ inxi -Gx

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 630M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.6 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.0-devel Direct Rendering: Yes

A note on Nvidia card there, when I check into further detail of it, it gives me an error saying

!!! Unknown header type 7f
more detailed information

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -i "VGA"

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1477
	Kernel driver in use: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 630M] (rev ff)
(rev ff) is suppose to have a number there just like (rev 09), I think nvidia controllers suppose to say (rev a2) or something like that :o

if I go to run modinfo I get this

$ modinfo nvidia | grep version

ERROR: Module nvidia not found.
MoreLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoreLinux »

expat_tony wrote:There are two other threads about this issue, makes at least four of us, so it looks like a bug.
Make it five, but haven't found the other posts. Do you have a link?

I have the same problem, but it happens at randon when I start the laptop. Thought it was some extra software that I use, but on a clean install without any additional non-mint software installed it happens to.
caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by caribriz »

MoreLinux wrote:Make it five, but haven't found the other posts. Do you have a link?
It doesn't affect me, but here are some of the threads - there may be more:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=177987

and:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=178069
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=177936
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=175517
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 18.3 Cinnamon)
MoreLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoreLinux »

@caribriz, thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on those threads.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”