User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Post by antiquexray »

How do I put a user icon picture on the greeter? I'm running Qiana with Cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Post by kyphi »

Go to "Users and Groups", click on your name and on the next screen click on "Picture".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Did that before my post. It doesn't put it on the Greeter.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Then go to System Settings, Preferences, Account Details and click on the image.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
nomko

Post by nomko »

kyphi wrote:Then go to System Settings, Preferences, Account Details and click on the image.
And then doing what..........????
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

I think, there is some issue with the MDM theme in refreshing the account image changed in Cinnamon. At least, that's what I experienced when i changed the image.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

My picture is indeed in the Users and Groups. It just doesn't show up on the greeter (log in) screen.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Would it be possible for you to test afresh by adding a new user with picture in settings and checking if it appears on selecting new user in greeter?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

anandrkris wrote:Would it be possible for you to test afresh by adding a new user with picture in settings and checking if it appears on selecting new user in greeter?
OK. That worked. I added a user pic from one of the icon pictures provided. So that tells me there is something wrong with the personalized pic I'm trying to use. What are the requirements for a personalized icon pic?
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

antiquexray wrote:
anandrkris wrote:Would it be possible for you to test afresh by adding a new user with picture in settings and checking if it appears on selecting new user in greeter?
OK. That worked. I added a user pic from one of the icon pictures provided. So that tells me there is something wrong with the personalized pic I'm trying to use. What are the requirements for a personalized icon pic?
Not sure. For me, it does not reflect when I change even into existing set of pictures available.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/61637/wh ... in-gnome-3 > See if this helps.

Update: Removing the below file helped.

Code: Select all

/home/[UserName]/.face
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Check to make sure that the file in your home directory called ".face" is not locked. If it is, open nemo as administrator (sudo nemo) and delete that file. There is no need to delete that file if it is not locked. Check its ownership in preferences.
You should now be able to change the image via System Settings, Preferences, Account Details by clicking on the existing image and substituting an image of your choice.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

It is not locked.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

antiquexray wrote:What are the requirements for a personalized icon pic?
I have experimented with a number of image files to show up in the Login Greeter with the result that size does not matter since whatever you choose will be converted to 16.8 kB in png format.

Do check that you have the required permission for your image so that you are listed as the owner of the image and have read and write permissions.
Since you are able to set up another user and change the image then this must be a permission issue.

Check the ownership (for the original user) of the directory that stores the image you want to use.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

kyphi wrote:I have experimented with a number of image files to show up in the Login Greeter with the result that size does not matter since whatever you choose will be converted to 16.8 kB in png format.

Do check that you have the required permission for your image so that you are listed as the owner of the image and have read and write permissions.
Since you are able to set up another user and change the image then this must be a permission issue.

Check the ownership (for the original user) of the directory that stores the image you want to use.
I deleted .face, reselected the pic, changed the permission from root to me, and rebooted. Nope. Still not showing up. I'm obviously doing something wrong.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Well, here's another twist. In a previous post I told of making a guest account with icon that worked. However, I tried one of the provided icon for my account and that does not work. Now what?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I mentioned accessing "Users and Groups" earlier. The same image should appear there as well as on the greeter. Would you check that please.

Can you provide some details of the image you are trying to use - such as format, size and location.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

kyphi wrote:I mentioned accessing "Users and Groups" earlier. The same image should appear there as well as on the greeter. Would you check that please.

Can you provide some details of the image you are trying to use - such as format, size and location.
The picture currently resides on my home directory. It is 74kb png file. After selecting it it shows up on my Users and Groups screen, is converted to a .face name, and is 20.7kb. If I let the computer go to sleep, or hibernate, or whatever it is called (when it goes to my wallpaper and I have to enter my password to wake it back up), it is on that screen, my desktop wallpaper. It just doesn't show up on my animated greeter after powering up. All that shows is the generic silhouette with my name.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Thank you for providing those details.

I use the HTML theme Mint-X for the Login screen and it all works fine. Could the animated greeter be the culprit?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

kyphi wrote:Thank you for providing those details.

I use the HTML theme Mint-X for the Login screen and it all works fine. Could the animated greeter be the culprit?
I been wondering that my self. I'll check that out and let you know.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

antiquexray wrote:
kyphi wrote:Thank you for providing those details.

Nope. I changed to the same Mint-X. I don't even get the silhouette for my pic with that. This is perplexing. Thank you for all you help.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”