Page 1 of 2

User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 am
by antiquexray
How do I put a user icon picture on the greeter? I'm running Qiana with Cinnamon.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:59 pm
by kyphi
Go to "Users and Groups", click on your name and on the next screen click on "Picture".

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:09 pm
by antiquexray
Did that before my post. It doesn't put it on the Greeter.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:23 am
by kyphi
Then go to System Settings, Preferences, Account Details and click on the image.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:46 am
by nomko
kyphi wrote:Then go to System Settings, Preferences, Account Details and click on the image.
And then doing what..........????

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:08 am
by anandrkris
I think, there is some issue with the MDM theme in refreshing the account image changed in Cinnamon. At least, that's what I experienced when i changed the image.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:20 am
by antiquexray
My picture is indeed in the Users and Groups. It just doesn't show up on the greeter (log in) screen.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:50 am
by anandrkris
Would it be possible for you to test afresh by adding a new user with picture in settings and checking if it appears on selecting new user in greeter?

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:10 am
by antiquexray
anandrkris wrote:Would it be possible for you to test afresh by adding a new user with picture in settings and checking if it appears on selecting new user in greeter?
OK. That worked. I added a user pic from one of the icon pictures provided. So that tells me there is something wrong with the personalized pic I'm trying to use. What are the requirements for a personalized icon pic?

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:37 pm
by anandrkris
antiquexray wrote:
anandrkris wrote:Would it be possible for you to test afresh by adding a new user with picture in settings and checking if it appears on selecting new user in greeter?
OK. That worked. I added a user pic from one of the icon pictures provided. So that tells me there is something wrong with the personalized pic I'm trying to use. What are the requirements for a personalized icon pic?
Not sure. For me, it does not reflect when I change even into existing set of pictures available.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/61637/wh ... in-gnome-3 > See if this helps.

Update: Removing the below file helped.

Code: Select all

/home/[UserName]/.face

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:32 pm
by kyphi
Check to make sure that the file in your home directory called ".face" is not locked. If it is, open nemo as administrator (sudo nemo) and delete that file. There is no need to delete that file if it is not locked. Check its ownership in preferences.
You should now be able to change the image via System Settings, Preferences, Account Details by clicking on the existing image and substituting an image of your choice.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:39 pm
by antiquexray
It is not locked.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:11 am
by kyphi
antiquexray wrote:What are the requirements for a personalized icon pic?
I have experimented with a number of image files to show up in the Login Greeter with the result that size does not matter since whatever you choose will be converted to 16.8 kB in png format.

Do check that you have the required permission for your image so that you are listed as the owner of the image and have read and write permissions.
Since you are able to set up another user and change the image then this must be a permission issue.

Check the ownership (for the original user) of the directory that stores the image you want to use.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 am
by antiquexray
kyphi wrote:I have experimented with a number of image files to show up in the Login Greeter with the result that size does not matter since whatever you choose will be converted to 16.8 kB in png format.

Do check that you have the required permission for your image so that you are listed as the owner of the image and have read and write permissions.
Since you are able to set up another user and change the image then this must be a permission issue.

Check the ownership (for the original user) of the directory that stores the image you want to use.
I deleted .face, reselected the pic, changed the permission from root to me, and rebooted. Nope. Still not showing up. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:14 am
by antiquexray
Well, here's another twist. In a previous post I told of making a guest account with icon that worked. However, I tried one of the provided icon for my account and that does not work. Now what?

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:29 pm
by kyphi
I mentioned accessing "Users and Groups" earlier. The same image should appear there as well as on the greeter. Would you check that please.

Can you provide some details of the image you are trying to use - such as format, size and location.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:46 pm
by antiquexray
kyphi wrote:I mentioned accessing "Users and Groups" earlier. The same image should appear there as well as on the greeter. Would you check that please.

Can you provide some details of the image you are trying to use - such as format, size and location.
The picture currently resides on my home directory. It is 74kb png file. After selecting it it shows up on my Users and Groups screen, is converted to a .face name, and is 20.7kb. If I let the computer go to sleep, or hibernate, or whatever it is called (when it goes to my wallpaper and I have to enter my password to wake it back up), it is on that screen, my desktop wallpaper. It just doesn't show up on my animated greeter after powering up. All that shows is the generic silhouette with my name.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:26 pm
by kyphi
Thank you for providing those details.

I use the HTML theme Mint-X for the Login screen and it all works fine. Could the animated greeter be the culprit?

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 pm
by antiquexray
kyphi wrote:Thank you for providing those details.

I use the HTML theme Mint-X for the Login screen and it all works fine. Could the animated greeter be the culprit?
I been wondering that my self. I'll check that out and let you know.

Re: User Picture Greeter Screen Mint 17 Cinnamon

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:48 pm
by antiquexray
antiquexray wrote:
kyphi wrote:Thank you for providing those details.

I use the HTML theme Mint-X for the Login screen and it all works fine. Could the animated greeter be the culprit?
Nope. I changed to the same Mint-X. I don't even get the silhouette for my pic with that. This is perplexing. Thank you for all you help.