17.3 xfce wallpaper changer stuck on directory backdrops

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

17.3 xfce wallpaper changer stuck on directory backdrops

Post by gregoryshock »

I have a bunch of wallpapers in a wallpaper directory. I wanted to add them to my list of wallpapers to change automatically. But when I go to too settings/desktop down where it says folder, it is stuck on directory /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops. Every time I try switching it over to my wallpapers /user/share/backgrounds/wallpapers it won't read any of the wallpapers, and when I close the window and re open the window it goes back to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 17.3 xfce wallpaper changer stuck on directory backdrops

Post by austin.texas »

gregoryshock wrote:I have a bunch of wallpapers in a wallpaper directory. I wanted to add them to my list of wallpapers to change automatically. But when I go to too settings/desktop down where it says folder, it is stuck on directory /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops. Every time I try switching it over to my wallpapers /user/share/backgrounds/wallpapers it won't read any of the wallpapers, and when I close the window and re open the window it goes back to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops.
I don't know about xfce, but with Cinnamon, you have to add the folder first, then you can access the folder's contents. xfce might be the same.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 17.3 xfce wallpaper changer stuck on directory backdrops

Post by gregoryshock »

austin.texas wrote:
gregoryshock wrote:I have a bunch of wallpapers in a wallpaper directory. I wanted to add them to my list of wallpapers to change automatically. But when I go to too settings/desktop down where it says folder, it is stuck on directory /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops. Every time I try switching it over to my wallpapers /user/share/backgrounds/wallpapers it won't read any of the wallpapers, and when I close the window and re open the window it goes back to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops.
I don't know about xfce, but with Cinnamon, you have to add the folder first, then you can access the folder's contents. xfce might be the same.
I had to use a chmod terminal command to change all the permissions on all of the 3,000 some files to read & write. (When I tried to do it to all them using the GUI interface the computer froze up) Then I had to copy them in the /user/share/xfce4/backdrops. I can't see the pictures in the desktop settings. It seems that there is too many for them all to load up. But when I set it change the wallpaper automatically it does change them for me.

I don't know if every permission had to be changed to read & write. But that's what worked for me. I just hope it doesn't cause some kind of security vulnerability.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”