Cinnamon theming changes in 18.1

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d00med

Cinnamon theming changes in 18.1

Post by d00med »

My Cinnamon theme is pretty much broken with the new version, and I don't know where to start in figuring out what has changed, so I can fix it.

Are other Cinnamon theme authors using an up-to-date theme template as a base? Or is there new theming documentation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
samriggs

Re: Cinnamon theming changes in 18.1

Post by samriggs »

ya there is a new way of doing things now, you can read all about it here http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2017/01/c ... d-artists/
I did one years ago which I know doesn't work anymore myself but it was outdated anyhow.
You might have to grab a new one or the standard from your theme folder by mint and rewrite it now, which shouldn't be to hard to do if you did it once already.
But read the link because it does show you what is now required to make them and get them on spices which also means using git hub now.

Happy themeing
Sam
Last edited by samriggs on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added missing right square bracket
Penn

Post by Penn »

If you are talking about the most common issue it is easy to fix. That issue would be the menu colors aren't right anymore because they improved Cinnamon by eliminating the use of boxpointers and the element name for the menu is different.

One explanation to fixing it is here viewtopic.php?f=208&t=237275&p=1263551#p1263551

Another explanation by board member here named austin.texas has a page to teach a bit about working with themes. I haven't browsed all of his directions but what I have looked at seems solid (at the moment). This page has the 18.1 fixes for the menu in the second red set of notes http://caverdan.com/Mint18Themes/chapte ... namon.html

If you are having a different issue you will need to be more precise on what is broken. I don't know of a wide variety of themes that have already been updated for the new Cinnamon. I also don't know all the areas where Mint 18.1 or Cinnamon 3.2 have changed since at the same time those came out I also decided to rework my personal theme. It is difficult to tell what was messed up by changes and what I was doing to make thing work differently.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If you want to see exactly what the changes are, compare the /usr/share/cinnamon/theme/cinnamon.css in Mint 18 to the new /usr/share/cinnamon/theme/cinnamon.css in Mint 18.1 using Meld.
Install the Meld program.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install meld
Load the old cinnamon.css side by side with the new cinnamon.css, in Meld, and all changes will be high-lighted.
See instructions here

The new changes include the box-pointer, as Penn said, and also added code for vertical panels.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Thanks austin.texas
I never knew about meld I could of used that program a ton of times in the past.
Installed.

Sam
d00med

Post by d00med »

Thanks very much for the replies.

Trying to get psyched up to rewriting my gtk3 theme too, as it's now partially broken. :?

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”