Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Window Appearence Changed After LO Update [SOLVED]

Post by That Random Guy »

Hello,

I recently decided to install the latest stable release of LibreOffice.

I uninstalled the old version and immediately installed the newer version.

After having done so, everything looked normal, but then I noticed a sudden theme change when starting up the new release of LO Writer.
Capture.PNG
The window border, which I assume had been a different theme, had changed.

It is worth mentioning that I had changed the LibreOffice theme to it's default before uninstalling. I can't remember now if I actually had a theme beforehand, but I feel like it's not as relevant now.

After noticing this, I tried to change the theme (on LO). So, I did, and I wound up receiving an error prompting me to restart. I attempted this for another 4 rounds and was never able to successfully apply a new theme.

The error wasn't specific, and was the general error it normally gives. It had no reason for the crash.

I gave up, and decided to try it out later.

I then found something that irked me to the extreme:
Capture2.PNG
I freaked out, as this kind of window appearance was never existent before I did the "update" for LO.

I started opening other things and noticed this:
Capture3.PNG
The window style was altered for particular views and applications not related to the supposed built-in window explorer (or whatever they call it in Linux).

I don't get what this means, but I'd like a tip in the right direction.

My specs:
Running Linux Mint 17.3 (x64) as a VM using VirtualBox.

I would bring up other things, but the change didn't occur until I messed around with LO, so I don't find it necessary to include anything else.

P.S. - I played around with my themes and everything, but I couldn't get it to turn back. I don't know where to go to change it back to the nice slick gray it used to show.

P.P.S. - I have no experience in Linux whatsoever. If you plan to provide instructions, please consider being as detailed as possible.

EDIT:
IT turns out that when following the uninstall guide available from their Wiki, doing so via terminal inadvertently removes certain files needed for nemo's stability.

If you find yourself having UI appearance issues after uninstalling LibreOffice, then the hotfix is located here.

I'm not sure why they still suggest doing so via terminal with the commands they've listed when it causes other issues.

The command listed on the linked page should the trick. Hope this helps!
Last edited by That Random Guy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Window Appearence Changed After LO Update

Post by Pierre »

the latest update, did make LO a bit hard to read it's icons / menus,
at least on my PCs, so I've changed the User Interface, a little:
- Tools - Options - View - User Interface - Icon Style

that's not really a Theme change, but since I'd not figured out any way to change the Theme,
& this method, at least improved the readability of the Menu Bar, somewhat.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The appearance of LibreOffice installed from an unstated source is not related to the change in appearance of your desktop.

In LibreOffice there are a number of icon styles that you can install if the standard plain black icons are not to your taste. A favourite seems to be the "Galaxy" theme which can be installed via the terminal with sudo apt-get install libreoffice-style-galaxy
After installation, as stated by Pierre, it will appear as an option in "Tools - Options - View - User Interface - Icon Style" so that you can change between any of the installed styles.

The appearance of your desktop is configurable in System Settings - Themes. System Settings is in your main menu.

Other issues you have raised would need some more detail before a comment can be made.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

After playing around with the theme settings, I was able to get the issue partially fixed. Since I had no point of reference, I couldn't exactly pin-point what was causing the weird appearance.

I wasn't going to waste my time, so I just removed the VM and created a new one running 18.1.

Thinking back, when I first uninstalled LO, I did so via terminal. I then installed what I had assumed to be the official LO from the software manager.

I didn't verify the source or the version, but recall it being the latest. No doubt now that it was the wrong one.

I uninstalled that version and later installed the correct version.

This fixed the weird appearance on LO, but did not fix the general window appearance inconsistency.

After installing the new VM, I was able to verify that whatever I did in my previous machine somehow removed the default window border theme known as Mint-X.

I remember looking for this while the old machine was still active, but it never showed up in the themes panel/settings.

The only conclusion I can draw now is that I removed something I wasn't, OR I installed something I wasn't meant to install that messed up something else which later got removed.

I wasn't able to find the issue that caused this whole mess, but I've learned my lesson about installing and removing things.

I always sort of knew that... I had just assumed the app I was installing from the software manager was a legitimate source...

How do I delete my post?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

That Random Guy wrote:How do I delete my post?
You don't. We prefer to leave them up in case somebody else has the same or similar problem. Click the Edit button on your post, and add SOLVED to the Subject line.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Edit added.

Working solution has been added. See EDIT above.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”