Is there any full-featured theme? (Mint 18.1)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Is there any full-featured theme? (Mint 18.1)

Post by mideal »

While trying to make up a new, dark(-blue) theme I recognized that in the used base Mint-Y-Dark there are a lot of features which are not used/not defined by the theme config files.
I.e. some portions in the css and xml files are put in comments or marked as "to do".

Is there any theme with all features enabled to make it a little bit easier to find everything that can be adjusted?
I'd guess there must or at least should be an example by the Cinnamon team, but I can't find that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yoga 910 16GB/2TB running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64Bit

Re: Is there any full-featured theme? (Mint 18.1)

Post by Penn »

Mint-Y isn't meant to be altered in the way others can since it uses something called Sass (I think that is the name). You might be able to either get the .deb of Mint-Y and alter it there before installing but it might be necessary to get the source code from git-hub then alter that and compile, I really don't know because I never did it.

Mint-X and most of the themes I've seen online can be altered easily. Well, easy but depending on how many changes it could be time consuming. I use a modified Mint-X theme that is very different from it and in some minor ways more than just colors. Most of this was done before Mint-Y Dark even existed.

Yeah, now wallpaper. I know I'm boring.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mideal »

Yes, I already recognized that "simply" replacing grey color tones by blue ones everywhere doesn't end with a reasonable result
(while I don't see any "sass" or "scss" files) when I completed my changes.
Is there a theme without use of SASS, with all features enabled/colors specified?
Is there any complete list of all elements which can be colored/resized/outlined/emphasized or whatever?
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Is there any complete list of all elements which can be colored/resized/outlined/emphasized or whatever?
You will never find such a thing. It's fluid and ever changing. Besides all the base widgets, every application can add its own style classes, selectors, and theming possibilities. These are changed and added all the time.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Penn

Post by Penn »

mideal wrote:Yes, I already recognized that "simply" replacing grey color tones by blue ones everywhere doesn't end with a reasonable result
(while I don't see any "sass" or "scss" files) when I completed my changes.
I'm not really sure where the SASS files are but I think the SCSS files are the .css and gtkrc files in the theme folder but it seems you know that already so maybe you mean something different than I am interpreting.
Is there a theme without use of SASS, with all features enabled/colors specified?
To my knowledge, no. My point behind showing you what I did by altering Mint-X, which doesn't use SASS, was to demonstrate that most elements can be altered in the current css, gtkrc and metacity xml files and most relevant values are in there already if you either already know or are willing to learn how the values can be changed.

Also keep in mind some programs pull your set values and use them in ways you might not actually want. Unless there are theme overrides for each instance or you want to alter the program itself there isn't a lot that can be done about that.
The closest I personally can suggest is to point you to a comment by Joseph (either the primary or one of the primary theme writers for Mint) but it appears this is only of value if you have 18.1 (and I'm sure future releases like LMDE 3). viewtopic.php?f=211&t=241713

If I am correct, a singular list would be impossible to maintain due to the amount of possible settings and the constant changing of GTK. Even the official GTK documentation seems fragmented and is more complex and convoluted than you seem to want. Plus metacity, I'm pretty sure, isn't going to be in GTK documentation.

For the record, I would like such a resource too so if I am wrong and you are someone else finds what you are looking for, please share that information.

Edit, I walked away without hitting submit. Looks like Joseph pretty much shortened what I just said. If he doesn't have a satisfactory answer I doubt you will get one.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Your best bet really is to find a theme that is close to what you want and start tweaking :) The Mint-Y themes probably aren't the best to work with unless you are willing to grab the source from github and learn to modify the sass files.

For Cinnamon itself, the default theme in /usr/share/cinnamon/theme/cinnamon.css should contain a complete list of selectors for Cinnamon itself. I keep meaning to set aside some time to go through it, clean up, and add some descriptive comments on what each one does. I just never quite get around to it though.

Edit: Also keep in mind those TODO's you are talking about are often there to mark something that a dev would like to do but just isn't currently possible or supported.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Re: Is there any full-featured theme? (Mint 18.1)

Post by mideal »

The last posts summed up are close to a perfect solution.

Edit: THANK YOU :!:

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”