Dark theme for Software Manager?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101

Dark theme for Software Manager?

Post by borg101 »

I've installed several "dark" themes and have checked the option to force dark themes if applications have them available, yet the software manager window is "light" while its borders are dark. Is there any way to change this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Dark theme for Software Manager?

Post by Penn »

When you installed themes they probably went to the .themes folder in your home directory. When you start some programs they are run in administrative mode which doesn't access that folder. If you want admin apps to use any given theme you need to move the relevant theme folder from ~/.themes to /usr/share/themes (and of course restart). This will also mean instead of the theme being only available to one user the theme will be available to all users.
borg101

Post by borg101 »

Penn wrote:When you installed themes they probably went to the .themes folder in your home directory. When you start some programs they are run in administrative mode which doesn't access that folder. If you want admin apps to use any given theme you need to move the relevant theme folder from ~/.themes to /usr/share/themes (and of course restart). This will also mean instead of the theme being only available to one user the theme will be available to all users.
Just to be clear, move.....or copy? Or maybe a better question would be, is it safe to copy rather than move?
Penn

Post by Penn »

If you have the same theme name in both locations, what happens?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Copy it.
Penn wrote:If you have the same theme name in both locations, what happens?
Nothing bad.
Unless you modify the theme in ~/.themes - the modification would not be reflected in /usr/share/themes.

You also have the option of creating a link in /usr/share/themes to your theme in ~/.themes.
Example:
I want root to use DarkTheme1 in /home/myusername/.themes/DarkTheme1. So I create a link to that theme with this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /home/myusername/.themes/"DarkTheme1" /usr/share/themes/"DarkTheme1"
Alternatively, you can make links to all of your themes in your .themes folder with the command:

sudo ln -s ~/.themes/* /usr/share/themes/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Penn

Post by Penn »

austin.texas wrote:Copy it.
Penn wrote:If you have the same theme name in both locations, what happens?
Nothing bad.
Unless you modify the theme in ~/.themes - the modification would not be reflected in /usr/share/themes.

You also have the option of creating a link in /usr/share/themes to your theme in ~/.themes.
Example:
I want root to use DarkTheme1 in /home/myusername/.themes/DarkTheme1. So I create a link to that theme with this command in a terminal:

sudo ln -s /home/myusername/.themes/"DarkTheme1" /usr/share/themes/"DarkTheme1"
Alternatively, you can make links to all of your themes in your .themes folder with the command:

sudo ln -s ~/.themes/* /usr/share/themes/
Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate knowing but the was meant to be rhetorical. I guess I should keep in mind that not everyone realizes most theme experiments wouldn't break an entire install and the worst cased scenario would be a need to temporarily switch themes.

Unless it is a SASS theme I would still just move it. I don't have much experience with SASS so I don't know how that would work out, but trying it wouldn't break the entire system.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”