X-Apps don't exchange menu icons according to the desktop theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
p53

X-Apps don't exchange menu icons according to the desktop theme

Post by p53 »

Since LM 18.2, the X-Apps such as Xed or XPlayer are delivered with their own menu symbols, which do not match with the chosen theme.
I am using the Numix theme and would like to have this in X-Apps for an uniform appearance.
Can the icons of the X apps be exchanged somehow?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
p53

Re: X-Apps don't exchange menu icons according to the desktop theme

Post by p53 »

no one an idea to solve this problem?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Cinnamon, Mate or XFCE?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
p53

Post by p53 »

Cinnamon, but I mean the icons inside the app like "open" or "save as", not the program icons on desktop. The x-Apps are using GTK+, but dont take the symbols of chosen GTK-theme (in system settings).
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

The xapp in app icons look to be set by the icon pack choice not the GTK theme choice. The images used are in the action sub folder of the relevant icon pack although bear in mind the 'inheritance' rules set by the icon sets index.theme when a particular icon is not included in a pack.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Read this thread. You might change your mind.
viewtopic.php?f=211&t=248648
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Err, I think it says the same as what i said just with way more useful info :wink:

Anyway - quick test - mint-y icons vs oxygen5 icons (from the repos).
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Next
Penn

Post by Penn »

smurphos wrote:Err, I think it says the same as what i said just with way more useful info
Maybe more useful but I did forget to say "gtk-update-icon-cache" needs sudo before it and needs to be done with the terminal in the same folder the cache index is in.

I built my own theme that uses the icons I want in X-apps either in LMDE or an older version of Mint so I don't know if 18.2 causes a complication in making it possible but the already built icon theme I used in 18.1 and currently use in LMDE2 works in 18.2.
p53

Post by p53 »

thanks for responses,

which commands I need to enter in terminal exactly to change the icons with "Numix-Square" for example?

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”