Oomox - GUI for generating themes (Cinnamon, GTK2, GTK3 and Metacity)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Oomox - GUI for generating themes (Cinnamon, GTK2, GTK3 and Metacity)

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

Just wanted to share this wonderful GTK theming app I recently discovered. Tested on Mint 18.2 Cinnamon edition and works really well. Learning curve is minimal, it comes with loads of preset examples which you can copy as your own template to tweak as you will.

https://github.com/actionless/oomox
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Oomox - GUI for generating themes (Cinnamon, GTK2, GTK3 and Metacity)

Post by smurphos »

Hi, just a little bump.

Oomox app (with a little input from me :wink: *) now has an option to export customised Cinnamon themes as well as GTK2, GTK3.18, GTK3.20 and Metacity themes,

Edit to add - Oomox is also now available as a Flatpak in Software manager for both 18.3 and 19 - no dependency worries. The Flatpak version only supports Numix style theme exports - the deb version also adds Materia and Arc....

For the Deb version.

You'll need Oomox version 1.60+ or above. It has a dependency on sasscand libsass0version 3.4+ which can't be met from the Mint 18 / xenial repos. Shouldn't be a problem in Mint 19.

So to install Oomox on Mint 18.x take the following steps.

Download and install bionic version of libsass0 via deb download appropriate for your architecture from https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libsass0. An older version of libsass0 is in the Mint 18 / xenial repos so you will get a warning about installing a newer version than the repo version.

Download and install bionic version of sassc via deb download appropriate for your architecture from https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/sassc

Download and Install Oomox deb at version 1.60 or later - https://github.com/actionless/oomox/releases. The other dependencies should pull automatically from the Mint 18/xenial repos.

Have fun making themes.

* The Cinnamon template in oomox is a customised version of the template I developed for the Cinnamox themes. It's got a few differences. My 'original version' along with build tools forked from the Oomox developer are here - https://github.com/smurphos/cinnamox-gtk-theme.
No fancy GUI - strictly edit your theme template in a text file and then run a command in the terminal to build the theme.
Last edited by smurphos on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The Oomox Gui

Some themes from the included presets.

Clearlooks

Shiki Noble Dark with a little added transparency

Shiki Noble Dark with more transparency, a slightly brighter highlight, more gradient and some roundness thrown in for good measure

TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Hi Smurphos, thank you for the 'heads up' on this handy theme tool. :) If only we (using a recent xfce/Cinnamon/mate DE) could just pick any colors for any element via a color theme interface like KDE4 had and it'd be applied to whatever theme we were using. That made it so easy to customize themes to taste. There was no need to create/edit new themes just to adjust colors. Seems I haven't the talent/knack for hand-creating and hand-editing themes not to mention keeping up with the changes. Oh well.

Wish it could use some other themes for a base as well (esp. Mint X, Y and what's been most-used here, the now-discontinued Ambiance / Ambiance Blackout from ravefinity) and getting the colors to jive with the available range of elements is sometimes tricky, but it is nice to have the customization it does offer.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That would be nice - those types of tools were available when GTK2 was king of the hill. GTK3 theming is more complex and I don't think it's feasible to make those kinds of tools to make edits on the fly.

I'm considering (time allowing) porting the Mint 19 version of Mint Y to be a base for my forked scripts and possibly trying to make a Cinnamon addon that provides a similar function to Oomox.

Oomox also supports Materia as a base - I've also recently contributed a Cinnamon theme to Materia - however I don't think the current Oomox release has incorporated the newest Materia release that includes the Cinnamon theme as yet.... :roll:
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

There was such a great variety of themes and relatively easy customization options back in the gtk2 days.

A silly personal quirk as it may be, I like to have theme elements jive with whatever image/graphics are on the desktop. I do like mint's green theming :mrgreen: just not all the time. Of course xfce has many qualities, but one that fits another personal quirk of mine is that it (like KDE) offers a fully adjustable taskbar; I just can't seem to get comfortable with the taskbar taking 100% width on a wide screen and there's no width adjustment. Still, I like nemo as a routine-use file manager and may yet switch to Cinnamon. I'll probably be giving Cinnamon another spin after mint 19 lands.

The addon sounds interesting. The reason I was thinking Mint's X,Y themes as a base was an assumption they would be thoroughly tried and robust. No idea if that's a relevant concern though.

Having seen your post mentioning Materia, I tried it even before trying oomox. Works fine in xfce. It's a good theme both in light and dark versions, flat but not without its character.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Just a little bump to note that Oomox is also now available as a Flatpak in Software manager for both 18.3 and 19 - no dependency worries. The Flatpak version only supports Numix style theme exports - the deb version also adds Materia and Arc based theme templates.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”