How to theme Cinnamon UI buttons?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

How to theme Cinnamon UI buttons?

Post by DaveJones »

Hi all,
After trying a bunch of themes, I've come across some that I really like but none of them is exactly like I want it. So I'm trying to theme Cinnamon myself and improve some of the themes :)

I've started off with Arc theme as a base (I really like this theme) but I don't like how the buttons are styled. My biggest wish is to change the color of default buttons. For example, in the pic below, Save is the default button (you can tell by the slight rectangle) but it's not that obvious. I'd just like to change the background color (and invert text as well) of these selected/default buttons.

What CSS file do I have to change and does anyone know which class that would be? I'm guessing gtk-3.0/gtk.css? Not sure which class though...
And what is gtk-2.0 for? Does Cinnamon use anything from gtk-2.0?

Any help from someone who's done this before would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DaveJones
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to theme Cinnamon UI buttons?

Post by DaveJones »

Anyone have any ideas or some clues as to which files I should try to modify?
Penn

Post by Penn »

Before answering questions I will point out if Arc is sass (it is possible since Mint-Y is based on it and that is sass) it isn't recommended to just alter the css files due to the way sass installs into the system.

Gtk 2.0 folder exists still because some programs still use it. Most have switched to 3.0 but not all. So if you want to make sure everything is uniform, both need changed. I haven't done much to alter 2.0 beyond my first stages of customizing a theme so I can spot a 2.0 program immediately by such elements as buttons. So, based on my own experience I'd day just to the minimum to make any 2.0 programs you have to be just acceptable but not perfect but have a higher standard for 3.0.

To know for certain how to change that save dialog button you need to include other information. What program generated the save (probably won't matter but could) and which exact Cinnamon and GTK3. inxi -Sz will give the cinnamon version and from the Mint version it shows we can determine GTK3 version, assuming you haven't changed that from the default install.

Since you haven't found the answer on your own since the original post I'm guess you haven't tried to learn this on your own. If you want to adjust themes I'd recommend also to learn a bit about them. A member on this board created a site that appears to be good for beginners http://caverdan.com/Mint18Themes/startpage.html
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

What program generated the save (probably won't matter but could) and which exact Cinnamon and GTK3.
The image posted by the OP is the gtk2 file chooser dialog.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”