Linux Mint 18.3 Backgrounds

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Palladini921

Linux Mint 18.3 Backgrounds

Post by Palladini921 »

How, if I can, make Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia MATE BETA have the background images rotate through a folder of Pictures on my Hard Drive?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TomPisciotta

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 Backgrounds

Post by TomPisciotta »

I'm having the same problem. When I go to set the desktop background, it shows the jpegs, but doesn't allow me to select any of them.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Palladini921 wrote:How, if I can, make Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia MATE BETA have the background images rotate through a folder of Pictures on my Hard Drive?
I have LM18.3 Cinnamon which has the following screens to set that. Go to settings. Unfortunately I only know this method where any photo in the Pictures folder will be in the slide show. In Windows any folder could be selected for that but in Mint I do not know how.

Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Hi Ozo,

See that '+' button down on the bottom left of the 'Backgrounds' window - click on it and you should be able to add any folder on your system. I created a new folder called wallpapers that I use to keep images in that I want to use for the desktop. (Not sure if the same option exists in MATE?)
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Make sure you don't have the "Style" set to "None" (= you get a solid color).

Set it to "Scale" or something else besides "None".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Mick-Cork wrote:Hi Ozo,

See that '+' button down on the bottom left of the 'Backgrounds' window - click on it and you should be able to add any folder on your system. I created a new folder called wallpapers that I use to keep images in that I want to use for the desktop. (Not sure if the same option exists in MATE?)
You just solved my earlier problem with selecting a source for the slide show other than pictures. I just add a new folder in backgrounds and use that for the source. Thank you. :D
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I still cannot them to rotate through the pictures like they in Linux Mint 18.2
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Palladini921 wrote:I still cannot them to rotate through the pictures like they in Linux Mint 18.2
Have you selected "play backgrounds as a slideshow"? Here is a before and after of what that should look like. Probably quite similar to Mate.

CLICK TO ENLARGE IMAGE

Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I do and cannot see the screens on my computer I am see on the pictures you have posted. Mine looks like this
Last edited by Palladini921 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Palladini921 wrote:I do and cannot see the screens on my computer I am see on the pictures you have posted. Mine looks like this
If you want better results when posting pictures there is an easy way to do that without physically resizing the image. Click on the following link to Imgr and then click the big button at the top left, New Post. Then select a photo from your computer and click Open. Once the photo finishes loading, right click it and select copy image address which is what you put between the Image. Easy, peasy.

There are many photo hosting sites but this one is so fast I can not see looking for anything better. The hardest part is putting your cursor between the brackets. There can be no spaces. Remember, you can actually type in the Image instead of using the ones supplied.

I see now you used Photobucket which is a great photo host but your photo is too blurry to be viewable. I still recommend you try Imgr as I suggested as it is super easy. It has been designed to handle this task with ease. O, and there is no signup. Also, I do not think there is a limit to posts as in the free version of Photobucket.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

If you click on the image, then when it opens on the site, use the left side arrow to see a bigger image
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Palladini921 wrote:If you click on the image, then when it opens on the site, use the left side arrow to see a bigger image
Sorry I see no arrow on the left side.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Yes I see it but it is so much different from 18.3 Cinnamon that I can not help.

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I have been reading about this and it seems Mate does not support the slideshow as in LMC 18.3 but there are ways to get that. Look at these suggestions;
viewtopic.php?t=243399

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”