Any good guides on making your own cinnamon theme?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Looptux

Any good guides on making your own cinnamon theme?

Post by Looptux »

I was thinking of making my own theme to match the paper icon theme,
but i don't know where to start. Are there any good guides out there?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Any good guides on making your own cinnamon theme?

Post by Penn »

Edit - the first paragraph was a comment on a reply which at the moment seems to have been deleted.

Is it just me or is there a trend on this forum lately of becoming the normal hostile Linux elitists belittling people for asking a question. Key word in the OP's question was "good". For someone who doesn't really know any thing, a simple search means they are going to have to read and try (in other words, invest time) multiple websites just to possibly find out they aren't good. Keep in mind also (and this is VERY important to point), there are many sites that will tell people to do things they just should not do, ever.

In fairness though, Looptux, you might not have been as clear as you intended and just how much of a beginner are you in theming. What elements are you looking to change is very relevant as in, when you go to theme settings there is 4 categories. Do you mean the bottom one which is "Desktop"? If so, that truly is the Cinnamon theme. If you meant all of or one of the others, that is different and how to alter those themes is a decent amount of difference. Do you know how to change colors in general with hexadecimal or RGB(A) and the difference between entries in GTK for color and background-color?

A member here, austin.texas, put together what appears to be a decent site to just get a person started on general theming of 18.x http://caverdan.com/Mint18Themes/startpage.html but I haven't really gone through his whole site. I learned what I know mostly through trial and error as well as downloading multiple themes by others to see how they did certain things.
Last edited by Penn on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revian

Re: Any good guides on making your own cinnamon theme?

Post by revian »

Looptux wrote:I was thinking of making my own theme to match the paper icon theme,
but i don't know where to start. Are there any good guides out there?
The best thing I can tell you is to take apart some themes and see how they're written. I did that in the beginning and ended up learning how to create entire themes. You'll need to be familiar with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) as this is used quite a bit in GTK3 themes.
Penn wrote:Is it just me or is there a trend on this forum lately of becoming the normal hostile Linux elitists belittling people for asking a question. Key word in the OP's question was "good". For someone who doesn't really know any thing, a simple search means they are going to have to read and try (in other words, invest time) multiple websites just to possibly find out they aren't good. Keep in mind also (and this is VERY important to point), there are many sites that will tell people to do things they just should not do, ever.
It is a psychological problem.. some people think they are better than others and/or don't really want to expend the resources to actually answer a question so they just send people elsewhere. And, yes, I've seen it too on these forums.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”