Shadow & Shade Theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idle

Shadow & Shade Theme

Post by idle »

There is this theme https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1194855/ that I want to use. I downloaded the theme and put it in /usr/share/themes. But when I go to System Setting -> Themes, its not listed to be selected.

Can anyone please help? I am using Mint 18.3 and would love to use this theme. Thanks 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Shadow & Shade Theme

Post by MrEen »

Just to be certain, you did EXTRACT the theme there, correct?
idle

Post by idle »

Yeah I tried two different ways, as just extracting to that location wasn't allowed, so I made a desktop folder called Shadow & Shade and extracted the contents there and then opened /usr/share/themes as root and put the folder in there. I also dragged and dropped the contents of the tar.gz ie. (The Folder Shadow, The Folder Shade) into /usr/share/themes to see if that would work. That's why I'm asking for help :)
idle

Post by idle »

Okay got it to work :D

Lets see if I can remember this. I extracted the contents to a desktop folder. In the "Shade" folder is a folder called "metacity-1" I cut and paste that folder into the "Shadow" folder and then opened /usr/share/themes as root and placed only the "Shadow" folder there, with the added "metacity-1" folder inside it and it now works :D

The only thing that hasn't worked is the icons in the start menu. Any ideas how to get those?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Ok. I'm no expert on this, but it seems like what I did with my theme was to extract to /home/username/.local/share/themes/ and linked to them in /usr/share/themes/

Maybe give that a try (at least adding them in /home/...)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Good for you on the first part! Sorry, no idea on the second.
idle

Post by idle »

Took some searching but the icons are here: https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1194982/

But I can't get them to work. There seems to be no "icon-theme.cache" and "index.theme" files in the tar.gz Can anyone please help me to get these icons working? Its almost done, stuck at the last part ...
Penn

Post by Penn »

idle wrote:Took some searching but the icons are here: https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1194982/

But I can't get them to work. There seems to be no "icon-theme.cache" and "index.theme" files in the tar.gz Can anyone please help me to get these icons working? Its almost done, stuck at the last part ...
I don't know of a way to automatically generate "index.theme" so that might be something you need to do yourself. The cache is generated by the system and I think "gtk-update-icon-cache" will generate it if one isn't present.

Another thing you could try which would be more work but might be more feasible is copy an existing icon theme (and rename it of course) then replace what is in that theme with the icons you want. Where that is more work is sometimes this will mean resizing or converting the image files you want to use.
idle

Post by idle »

Is there a program that can resize and convert more than one file at a time?

I had a bash at doing what you said. It kind of worked but many icons weren't replaced and it looked a bit of a hatchet job, but many icons were too large and so on. To go through each icon individually and resize them and convert is :shock:

Maybe I need to find someone who makes icons and knows about these things who could repackage it to work with Mint Cinnamon?

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”