Transparent side/bottom panel on Cinnamon

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Transparent side/bottom panel on Cinnamon

Post by Appoloin »

Is there a way to make a side or bottom panel in Cinnamon transparent but leave the top panel opaque.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Transparent side/bottom panel on Cinnamon

Post by Penn »

Yes.

It is difficult to thoroughly answer this question without knowing your experience level or which desktop theme you will want to alter but the following may be enough for you.

/path/to/theme_name/cinnamon/cinnamon.css

In the panel section you can either set the background for all the panels in one section or you can set each panel individually, which is what you want.

.panel-top
.panel-bottom
.panel-left
.panel-right
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

Thanks, that worked. What I did was copy Mint-y-Dark to the user .themes folder and rename it. Altered the .panel-bottom element by adding "background-color: transparent;".

The applets are
Workspace grid 2d switcher
Show desktop
Places Center
Icing task manger

I did notice some weirdness when playing with the side panels. Make that change to left panel appeared to break intelligent hide, and the pointer can get stuck in the area where the left panel meets the top panel.

A tweet would be to add colour to the center segment but leave the left and right segments transparent.
Penn

Post by Penn »

I don't know if it will help with the intelligent hide issue but you can also achieve a transparent panel using an alpha color. "background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0),". I've used that to get transparent panels and never had an issue with intelligent hide.

If you mean what I am thinking with the cursor getting stuck, that would be a matter of going into panel settings and turn on "Allow pointer to pass through the edges of panels".

Looking at your bottom panel, I wonder if a dock might be something that would interest you. System settings - Extensions - Available extensions online and I think there are multiple dock options but I don't know what is currently maintained for newer versions of Cinnamon.
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

I don't think those extensions work in mint 18
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Appoloin wrote:I don't think those extensions work in mint 18
The transparent theme Cinnamox-Cinnamon-Transparent in LMC 18.3 does not work. However, the dark theme Eleganse with a lot of transparancy in the menu etc. does work. In fact it works so great that it is now my first choice for a theme at least the basic part.

The transparent panel is not part of the theme. It is provided by an extension called Transparent Panels. So that extension works in LMC 18.3

CLICK TO ENLARGE two clicks for maximum magnification

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”