I give up: How to change the title bar background color

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonr
Level 1
Level 1

I give up: How to change the title bar background color

Post by jonr »

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I have been trying to make my own theme and i'm going nuts trying to change the color of the title bar window.

I downloaded a theme to play with (Mint-Y-Yltra-Dark, nice theme check it out)

After googling my ass off, and changing things both in /theme/cinnamon/cinnamon.css and /theme/gtk-3.0/gtk.css without any change, I got frustrated, downloaded the theme again, found the color of the title bar (#2f2f2f) and replaced every occurrence of it with red (#ff2f2f) in gtk.css and green (#2fff2f) in cinnamon.css.

And this is the result: Image

I must be missing something super obvious.

Where do cinnamon/gtk theme makers hang out?

J.

Edit: After short break and cursing, I took another look at this. My Linux n00bism was showing. There are 3 layers of GUI config WM/GTK -> Gnome -> Cinnamon. GTK has it's own config files named metacity-something (wat?). Now I can update them hack them and then force the WM to update using gsettings. As elegant as an oil rig welding, but it works. sort of.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I give up: How to change the title bar background color

Post by Superannuated »

I have no idea what you need to get your work done, but have you looked at gnome-color-chooser from the repos?
jonr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I give up: How to change the title bar background color

Post by jonr »

Well, after few hours, lots of cursing, and countless google searches I made it: https://imgur.com/a/y0evZ

It works, but the code is horrible, and a lot of hard coding in there. I "only" need to change the metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml and force theme reload. thehorror.gif

The program itself is simple, it just run shell

Code: Select all

gsettings monitor org.cinnamon.desktop.background picture-uri
and waits for the background to change. Then I load the background and calculate 3 colours from it using algorithm I can't remember where came from. I pick the darkest color.

Then it checks what theme I'm using and modifies the <theme>/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml file and and modifies few <constant> fields with the new hex value.

Then I call reset/set with gsettings.

Very ugly hack held together with bubble gum and twine.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”