Animated Themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Animated Themes

Post by Ozo »

I used to have a smartphone but since I spend most of my time at home I dumped it. It had some really cool animated screens. One in particular I liked was a 3D space view with meteors floating by and when you picked it up the view would rotate as you did like looking out a window in real life.
Is there some reason why these animated themes are possible on a phone or tablet and not, apparently, in Windows or Linux etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Penn

Re: Animated Themes

Post by Penn »

I think this is called "live background" or "live wallpaper" so that might help you search for the possibility. It would be a function of the desktop environment. Last I knew at least Cinnamon and Mate couldn't do it and I think XFCE and KDE couldn't either but could be wrong about the later two. Don't get your hopes up on finding the ability. I know Cinnamon, the only DE developed directly by the Mint team, pretty much rejected the idea but they could have changed their minds. I know Cinnamon and Mate have github pages which includes "feature requests" so if it is a feature not offered you might want to take it there.

The closest I've heard of someone doing something similar in Mint was something about linking the background to an internet stream. I don't remember which DE was used or how it was accomplished.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”