How do I add more padding between system tray icons?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asankamal

How do I add more padding between system tray icons?

Post by asankamal »

I'm trying to add little modifications to my version of mint-y theme. I want to more padding between the system tray icons (which are added by the programs, skype, steam, bluetooth etc).

Changing the cinnamon.css, .system-status-icon class & increasing the padding there added the extra spacing between time, power icon, network icon etc. But it doesn't increase the spacing between other system trayicons ( skype, steam, bluetooth etc)

.system-status-icon {
icon-size: 16px;
/*padding: 0 1px;*/
padding: 0 2px;
}

Can somebody tell me what is the class I should be targeting at to add padding to the those icons via css? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ozo

Re: How do I add more padding between system tray icons?

Post by Ozo »

I can not help with that but if a tidy and useful panel is your objective try this. I add the Spacer Applet to my panel to separate them but unfortunately it is visible.

The theme that I use helps separate the active programs (white frame).

Using a dock helps to clean up the panel too.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Ozo

Re: How do I add more padding between system tray icons?

Post by Ozo »

asankamal wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:31 am I'm trying to add little modifications to my version of mint-y theme. I want to more padding between the system tray icons (which are added by the programs, skype, steam, bluetooth etc).

Changing the cinnamon.css, .system-status-icon class & increasing the padding there added the extra spacing between time, power icon, network icon etc. But it doesn't increase the spacing between other system trayicons ( skype, steam, bluetooth etc)

.system-status-icon {
icon-size: 16px;
/*padding: 0 1px;*/
padding: 0 2px;
}

Can somebody tell me what is the class I should be targeting at to add padding to the those icons via css? Thanks in advance.
I found while installing some spacer applets that somehow I had installed some that were transparent but could be dragged so the few things on my minimalist panel are separate. Unfortunately I do not know how to duplicate the transparent spacers.

I use Workspaces so do not get active icons on my panel.

The panel could be reduced in size and left open without being too annoying as there is no activity on it. I only use the panel for the calendar, volume control, shutdown and menu. My menu is stripped down and has no shut down options. No Favorites either so the panel is very slightly used in my case. I use a dock on the bottom in tandem with Workspaces and highly recommend that method.

Notice the cursor (not visible) is hovering over the custom menu icon.

The transparent spacers are easily installed it seems after having gone back too it. With the dock below and Workspaces you will never see a cluttered panel again. Here the VLC player is playing music but only the music note icon on the panel. The active launcher appears on the dock (right side) but a selection in preferences stops this. Notice the activity lights below the panel launchers. Click twice to enlarge the photo.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”