[Solved] Where's the default Mint 18.3 wallpaper?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Where's the default Mint 18.3 wallpaper?

Post by deanr72 »

Hi all.

I changed my desktop wallpaper but today decided I might like to change it back for a while to the one which came when I first installed Mint. But I can't find it anywhere when I follow the route themes > background. I also can't find the resolution I need (1920 x 1080) via Google.

The wallpaper I'm looking for is this one btw:

Can anyone tell me how to reset this as the desktop wallpaper?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Where's the default Mint 18.3 wallpaper?

Post by xenopeek »

/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/linuxmint.jpg
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Thanks for responding xenopeek but it's not there - if it was I guess I'd be able to access it via the system settings > backgrounds GUI.

100% I didn't delete it either. All I did was change the background to one in my pictures file.

Any other ideas?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Try apt search mint-backgrounds. On a standard 18.3 Cinnamon installl, mint-backgrounds-sarah, -sonya, serena and -sylvia are installed.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Yes, I've got Sarah, Sonya, Serena and Sylvia files and each of them are full of backgrounds all of which I can access through the system settings > backgrounds route - but the one I want (see previous post) is simply not there.

I have Mint 18.3 installed on a desktop and a laptop and the desired background is missing from both. It's almost like they were never actually 'installed' or in the file and once they were replaced with a different background image they were no longer accessible. Weird :/

Anyway, I've downloaded the desktop background from Google. It's the wrong screen resolution and the LM logo is somewhat larger than ideal but I can live with it for now. Still, it would be good to solve the mystery of the disappearing wallpaper...
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Pardon. Upon actually checking I find it's part of mint-artwork-gnome. You'll probably want to make sure that's installed.

Code: Select all

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/
mint-artwork-gnome: /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Is there a folder that says just linuxmint there?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

If you don't find it or can't get it installed, download it from https://imgur.com/dxEYwCy
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

You could simply set it as wallpaper by right clicking it in the folder where you have it saved. I just grabbed it from your post and selected wallpaper

EDIT: Create a folder with the photo in it and add that to Backgrounds.

Last edited by Ozo on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

deanr72 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 pm Weird :/
rene wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 pm Pardon. Upon actually checking I find it's part of mint-artwork-gnome. You'll probably want to make sure that's installed.

$ dpkg-query -S /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/
mint-artwork-gnome: /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint
Not really weird - just another casualty of this - viewtopic.php?f=211&t=267214
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Thanks all for trying to help.

1. There is no 'linixmint folder' - only Sarah, Serena, Sonya and Sylvia.
2. Yes, I've downloaded the background image and made it my desktop background via the right click route.
3. That issue with mint-x themes was actually my post so uninstalling and re-installing LibreOffice just screws Mint themes up? Not very stable / logical / reasonable I'd say :?

Anyway, one way or another the issue is solved for now :)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If there is no /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint, than you must have removed or deleted it. Reinstall the package mint-artwork-gnome. This has nothing to do with LO and removing LO.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:50 am IThis has nothing to do with LO and removing LO.
It has everything to do with removing the specific package libreoffice-style-mint which many folk seem to inadvertently do when removing LO.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As I wrote already yesterday on another place, removing LO via removing ure does not remove libreoffice-style-mint. I remove LO since years on my test systems, as I have no need for endless installations of office, which I never use and which do nothing than using bandwidth for meaningless updates. So I can tell for all versions of Mint, that this does not happen.

But even if I do a test-remove for libreoffice-style-mint, the package mint-artwork-gnome is nowhere mentioned as to get removed.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

deanr72 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm I also can't find the resolution I need (1920 x 1080) via Google.
Do you mean you can not find the wallpaper in 1920 x 1080?

See my edited comment above.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:11 am But even if I do a test-remove for libreoffice-style-mint, the package mint-artwork-gnome is nowhere mentioned as to get removed.
I get this on 18.3 Cinnamon

steve@steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC ~ $ apt remove libreoffice-style-mint
[sudo] password for steve: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
  libreoffice-style-mint mint-artwork-gnome mint-meta-cinnamon mint-themes
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 4 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
After this operation, 12.3 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
On 18.3 XFCE

steve@mint-toshiba ~ $ apt remove libreoffice-style-mint
[sudo] password for steve: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED
  libreoffice-style-mint mint-artwork-gnome mint-artwork-xfce mint-meta-xfce mint-themes
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 5 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
After this operation, 12.6 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@smuurphos
You are right and I did not look properly. So far my bad.

But to the origin of the problem. If users use apt remove libreoffice* (or similar), than it is logical, that libreffice-style-mint gets also removed. As I wrote (in a related thread) yesterday I remove instead the package ure, which removes LO completely, but does not touch libre-office-style-mint; following that mint-artwork-gnome does not get removed also. Easy to demonstrate: Do in a new terminal apt remove -s ure and afterwards a search for mint-artwork-gnome and will end without a hit.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

No worries. I'd not really been aware of ure until your recent posts but can see it is effectively the 'top' package that the rest of libreoffice depends on so looks like a good target. It's a shame it hasn't got a slightly less obtuse package name.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ure = UNO runtime environment. This is one of the fine things with synaptic: You see with one glimpse the name and the description of a package.

It is also a bad choice of the Mint team to use the name libreoffice-style-mint. Nobody comes at first to the idea, that this is not a LO package. With something like mint-libreoffice-style the problem would not exist, because in this case apt remove libreoffice* would be usable without creating the discussed problem. As this package had obviously been created after LO saw at first the light of the day it is the fault of Mint to use this package name.

(P.S. The Mint team has several bad choices for their package and program names. If I know, that the forum software for my software does not allow 3 letter search expressions, than names like xed or pix should simply be a no-go.)
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Seems I opened a can of worms...

Still, for sure having themes or backgrounds wallpapers somehow attached to / dependent on another application is a bad (unnecessary?) thing. I changed my wallpaper and then uninstalled LO. If you do this the other way round what happens to the themes and background wallpaper then?? How confusing / off-putting would that be to a newbie (or anyone in fact) and I'm pretty sure a lot of people upon installing Mint do remove LO either in favour of another word processor or simply to upgrade to LO6.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”