What would determine whether to use X or Y theme?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

What would determine whether to use X or Y theme?

Post by oldwierdal »

I am beginning to think that I don't understand what I thought I knew.
I've been using Linux Mint since about 2010 or so, and I am quite happy with it. Currently, I'm using Linux Mint 17.3, and the so-called 'X-theme.' Frankly, I don't know why I chose the 'X-theme' over the 'Y-theme.' Is the choice of X or Y based on hardware or aesthetics? I haven't seen a machine using the 'Y-theme,' I don't think. So I honestly don't know the difference. It does seem that the 'Y-theme' tends to be darker, but even about that, I am unsure.
I do know that my desktop looks very much the same as it has through all the many iterations of Linux Mint going back to LM 12 or LM 14. And, I'm pretty sure that I'm using the 'X-theme,' but of that I am not absolutely certain.
I have avoided Linux Mint 18 simply because it just didn't seem to behave as I've grown accustomed to with Linux Mint 17. But the little I have read of the soon-to-be-released Linux Mint 19 said that the default would be the 'Y-theme.' Does this mean that I'm looking forward to a wrestling match if I choose to continue with the 'X-theme?'

Could someone help an old fart with this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
owa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux vobiscum! Et cum source-code, tuo!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What would determine whether to use X or Y theme?

Post by JosephM »

In short, it's really just a matter of personal taste. Mint19 will have both the X and Y theme included, so you can use what you like.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldwierdal »

Thanks, JosephM, for the reply. It is, then, as I suspected, a choice in aesthetics, not a requirement based on hardware. This is very good to know.
On another, related topic, I have been looking for a Mint19 Beta download link. But I've been unable to find it. I like to install a new release first on VirtualBox, just to try to understand the quirks of the new system. There is always the issue of the chance that the new os might not be happy with the actual hardware of my machine, as has happened a few times since 2003 when my adventures with Linux first began. Users of VirtualBox mostly understand that the virtual hardware is designed to allow for installation and use of the os in question. And, understanding that, are prepared to make what ever adjustments necessary for the os to run on actual hardware. In truth, the only os which has given me hardware headaches was Gentoo.
If you happen to know how I could download LM19 Beta, I would be happy to test it, as I have done with several distributions over the years. If only I could find the download site......

Anyway, thanks again for your response.

An old, really old, Linux Mint user,

owa
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The beta isn't released yet. You will probably see it posted here when it is or https://blog.linuxmint.com/
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
oldwierdal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldwierdal »

JosephM wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 am The beta isn't released yet. You will probably see it posted here when it is or https://blog.linuxmint.com/
That would explain why I haven't found it!! I guess I will have to find some patience, and exercise it.

Thanks,

owa

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”