T520 wallpaper issue

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: T520 wallpaper issue

Post by trytip »

this is now a gnome desktop issue. since cinnamon is gnome fork not sure why this is still going on. can't be more helpful ATM since i've no clues about cinmon. gnome is starting to break some xfce settings as well, GNOME only cares about GNOME. they are removing desktop icons for good in 3.28 https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/gno ... moved-3-28
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave8671 »

Hmm no that was after I though? ok I will try that; I went on my desktop with Mint 18.3 and this issue is not there. I think I use this laptop more than the desktop. I updated the desktop through the shell today. I will try theses command on it before it starts.

I would also like to know if there is a way to use apt upgrade with a modifier to not include kernels? kernels were installed which were older than the one active not a big issue I found that odd 0_o.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Closed: T520 wallpaper issue

Post by dave8671 »

I performed the command line tasks above last night and nothing changed. This morning I booted and now its worse the laptop and no icons on the desktop ok I am done reinstalling as I type. I though about applying these commands before using update manager would that be a good idea or no? otherwise I was going to update the system from the shell.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, dave8671.

Although it is not relevant any more for you in this case, it might prove helpful in similar future cases.
The "chmod" commandlines which you had been given in this thread use a variable $SUDO_USER. $SUDO_USER seems to be empty here.
I would suggest to use the commandline, which Pjotr has used successfully and posted here:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”