Ambiance Dark theme giving me troubles in MATE (Solved)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Ambiance Dark theme giving me troubles in MATE (Solved)

Post by pcfan5 »

Hello everybody!, I have dowloaded the "Ambiance Dark " theme from https://mate-desktop.org/, however it doesn't work properly under LM Mate 18.3, some of the windows text or buttoms aren't shown. As I like my Distro black - oranged themed, I tried to apply "Mate Black" theme which I know works fine but in Personalized - Controls- I selected Ambiance Dark, same result , some objet's windows aren't shown.
In both cases I tried changing the windows composition from Desktop Composition/ settings ( Macro, Metacity, Compiz....) no one made a change

So I tried with "Ambiance Dark Red", to discharge any issue with black themes, and this worked fine.

Does anybody else have the same issue with "Ambiance Dark " theme? I wonder if there's something similar Orange dark that works.

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Ambiance Dark theme giving me troubles in MATE

Post by trytip »

you'll have to provide some snapshots as to what you want or don't want. themes lately are mismatched due to numerous updates. some themes now have good color but boxes and separators may be scrambled
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hi, thank you for your reply, this is how It looks, you can see here no elements inside windows, unless I pass over the mouse.
Pantallazo-2018-06-12 16-15-21.png
Pantallazo-2018-06-12 16-14-56.png
Pantallazo-2018-06-12 16-13-59.png

Here is how it should look:
https://imgur.com/VcZTeAj
(cannot attach it don't know why)

In any case, please suggest me where to get this theme right. Regards.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try this will install Ambiance-Darkness it's not perfect but maybe you need to click customize and select everything separate

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/mervick/Ambiance-Darkness.git
sudo mv -f Ambiance-Darkness /usr/share/themes/Ambiance-Darkness
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Thank you so very much! It works perfect now!. :mrgreen: you made me happy!
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ambiance Dark theme giving me troubles in MATE (Solved)

Post by pcfan5 »

Would this theme (ambiance darkess) work under xfce ? (I realize this could be a silly question since Mate is base in GTK, but just in case ....)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

not found one, maybe there is. arc themes have more desktops, but of course different colors and doesn't work with older versions of GTK

arc-theme_1488477732.766ae1a-0_all.deb
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

pcfan5 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm Would this theme (ambiance darkess) work under xfce ? (I realize this could be a silly question since Mate is base in GTK, but just in case ....)
It does. The thing is not so much the desktop but which version of GTK 3 is being used vs which version(s) the theme was designed for. One way to see which gtk version you have, enter in a terminal: apt-cache policy libgtk-3-0
On my Mint 18.3 xfce it's 3.18.

If interested you might also check out Ravefinity's themes. http://www.ravefinity.com/ Some dark themes in a wide range of colors. Suggest you manually install what you want from the source packages instead of PPA. Apparently they're not going to be updating them so the last Mint edition they'll be compatible with is 18.3. The icons of course will probably continue to work in 19.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Thank you very much for both of your replies , thank you TeaSwigger for the tips. Regarding the off topic

I would like to tell you regarding the xfce suggestion, that I tried "ark - ambiance" under LM xfce USB live and It is beautiful, works fine and it is like the ambiance darkeness suggested previously in this toppic for mate.

Thank you all!

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”