Pop_OS theme wish...

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
invex
Level 4
Level 4

Pop_OS theme wish...

Post by invex »

I installed Pop_OS theme. Looks great but it doesn't fully support Cinnamon.
It won't show up in Themes/Desktop option.
I contacted System76 about Cinnamon support.
Their reply:
"Yes Cinnamon has changed a lot of the code base I believe from GNOME Shell. You may need to reach out to the developers of Cinnamon like Clem to get it to support the Pop theme."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Pop_OS theme wish...

Post by smurphos »

Lol, there's a 'we can't be arsed' answer if ever there was one.

It's really up to theme developers to decide whether or not include a Cinnamon desktop theme, not up to Cinnamon developers to make one for every GTK theme out there. Given POP_OS is Gnome based I can understand their reluctance to expend effort to effectively support another OS. There's about 6 years worth of difference between Gnome Shell and Cinnamon now so although they share some features it's not trivial to convert a Gnome Shell theme to a Cinnamon desktop theme. Having said that it appears they do make an effort to try and ensure the theme works OK for Mate and XFCE

So your options are

1) Sit back and hope a third party Cinnamon theme developer likes the POP GTK theme enough to decide to make a matching Cinnamon theme and shares it via Cinnamon Spices - I'm a bit intrigued to be honest... :)

2) Try and make one yourself. :) POP_OS theme is based on Adapta- which does support Cinnamon. You could use the Adapta Cinnamon theme as a base to edit to make a Cinnamon theme to match POP.

Edit to add - having just had a look at the POP-GTK theme it is actually much closer to Materia than Adapta - Materia also has a Cinnamon theme - it would be a simple job to edit it to match POP...viewtopic.php?f=211&t=267723
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
invex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by invex »

Thank you very much :)
Your reply was very helpful.
invex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by invex »

To make Pop compatible with Cinnamon is beyond my abilities.

>- I'm a bit intrigued to be honest... :)
So there is hope? :))
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Maybe :wink:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
invex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by invex »

I did it.
It was easy. I only had to change 3 SVG files.
Maybe it's not perfect but I like it :)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”