Additional themes not working in Cinnamon Mint 19

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reglue1

Additional themes not working in Cinnamon Mint 19

Post by reglue1 »

So, I've seen this topic discussed from all the way back to 2013. When extracting themes downloaded from Gnome-look.org or other sources, and the extracted into the .themes/.icons folder, or root inserted into the usr/share/themes folder; those themes are not available in the themes section from the control center. OK, so early on it seemed that it was a matter of an index file not being present, but that was from 6 years ago and no longer seems to be relevant as the stock themes do not have them either. And let me point out, I have seen a response to a problem such as this, in so many words; "Why not just embrace the new themes and forget about making the old stuff work."

Really? How does one learn anything by that? Just sayin'

I use for example the gtk2 theme blue-joy. Yes, it's an old theme but I have it working nicely on my work station, which is a fully updated Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon install. All I did to get it to work was to extract it into the .themes folder in my home directory. Works great and it looks extremely nice, to me anyway. But here's the rub and the mystery I'd like to solve. I've installed the same system on two different laptops, an HP 2nd gen i5 elitebook and a Lenovo T530 i5 2nd gen Thinkpad. When I extract that tar file into .themes or even as root in usr/share/.themes....it's just not there. This isn't a Mint 19 issue since I experienced the same problem within all the Mint 18 iterations. It's the same problem with additional metacity themes. On one machine they work, on another they seem not to exist.

I'm not so much looking for an answer as to how to make it work, as I am trying to understand why the same theme that works on one computer will not register on another. Here's the link to that theme if anyone wants to see it. https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1080099/

Also, here's a link to see what that theme looks like if anyone is interested. https://tinyurl.com/yaxuye4g

I realize it's a weekend now so I'm not in any real hurry. I'd just like your feedback. BTW, Linux Mint 19 is now the Distro of choice that goes onto all Reglue kid's computers. Great work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Additional themes not working in Cinnamon Mint 19

Post by JosephM »

I'm not sure why it shows on some computers but not others. I downloaded that theme and can tell you why it shouldn't show. For a theme to show under controls, it should contain both a gtk2 and gtk3 version. That one doesn't. For it to show under window borders, it should contain a metacity-3 version of the theme. That one doesn't, so it shouldn't show.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
reglue1

Post by reglue1 »

"That one doesn't, so it shouldn't show."

I know, right? But it does and it almost themes my entire computer just from the control section as you can see from the screenshot I provide. Bluejoy isn't the only one. There are others that are elements as well such as the "stomp" metacity window border theme as well as some others. Works great on this machine but doesn't show on the others. I'm simply confused as to why this would be.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Ok, well I just saw your screenshot. That isn't even Cinnamon, which makes my comments irrelevant. It also makes the title of your post more than just a little misleading.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
reglue1

Post by reglue1 »

Holy cow man, I got my screenshots completely messed up. My apologies for screwing this up. Sincerely. My bad. We can just delete this entire thread if that's ok. It's taking up space that will only confuse others. Having me confused is painful enough. Thanks for your time man.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

No worries :) These things happen.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”