Changed folder colour now refuses themes [solved]

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Changed folder colour now refuses themes [solved]

Post by deanr72 »

Hi.

I changed the colour of my dropbox folder on Mint 18.3 to make it stand out from the others. This one file then automatically changed themes from Papirus back to default (already slightly annoying) but now, when I want to change themes again, everything changes except this one folder. What can I do now to make a change of theme affect this folder too?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Changed folder colour now refuses themes

Post by smurphos »

Which Desktop Environment are you using and how did you change the folder colour in the first place (there are various ways... :wink: )
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Cinnamon 18.3 64-bit.

I right clicked on the folder and chose the option to change folder colour at the bottom of that menu.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That is using the Nemo Colour Changer plugin which has to be supported by the Icon theme - AFAIK only the default Mint-X and Mint-Y icon themes are supported. I don't think it should have even shown up as an option if you had Papirus set as your icon theme.... not sure what is going on there

Switch back to Mint-X or Mint-Y right click on the folder and select the X in the available colors to revert back to normal. Then switch to your prefered Icon Theme. Then right click on the folder, select properties, click on the icon in the properties window, navigate to the icon folder for your in use icon theme (it will be in either /usr/share/icons or ~/.icons depending on installation method and pick an alternative folder icon from those available in the theme.

Papirus does have other folder colours available by default - look in /usr/share/icons/Papirus/64x64/places or ~/.icons/Papirus/64x64/places

Papirus also supports a more generic folder colour changing GUI app according to https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTe ... ders-color

Whatever way you do it I think the modified folder will stay modified even if you change icon theme, so you'll always need to undo and redo with a change of icon theme.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

You are a genius my friend!

Thank you so much for your help :D

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”