Restoring my old theme from 17.3 on my 18.3 desktop?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EmphaticItalic
Level 1
Level 1

Restoring my old theme from 17.3 on my 18.3 desktop?

Post by EmphaticItalic »

I would like try to go back to my wonderful old theme I had on 17.3 on my 18.3 Cinnamon.

I'm not 100% sure, I don't quite remember, but I believe it was a variation of Mint X - Adwaita with edged black window borders. It had Mint X controls with a window border from Adwaita I think. It also featured a kind of teal blue in the window borders or when you moused over the window title.

It was just a standard theme in Mint 17.3 with that version of Cinnamon. Anyone still running 17.3 would be able to find it relatively easily. Is it possible to install the relevant packages of those old themes so I can perhaps run it again?

You may wonder why I even left 17.3 in the first place when it is still supported. I had a major upgrade to almost all the components of my desktop last Christmas. So i thought it would be nice to have fresh new OS. It was no longer necessary to hold on to 17.3 for video driver support for the old GPU. Mint 18.3 supported the new GPU perfectly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Restoring my old theme from 17.3 on my 18.3 desktop?

Post by smurphos »

Short answer is no - if you located the correct packages from 17.3 and loaded them in 18.3 the theme would not work properly due to a jump in the underlying gtk version. Same goes for themes built solely for 18.x in Mint 19.

There is a Mint-X-Teal available by default in 18.3 - check the Themes settings app.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
EmphaticItalic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Restoring my old theme from 17.3 on my 18.3 desktop?

Post by EmphaticItalic »

Thanks for your help. As it is I discovered the option to add new themes at the settings app, so I will play around with those.

As it happens, I tried a live boot of 17.3 yesterday to see if I could find that theme I had. Turns out I must have added it using that add / remove option in the app, or I received it from the update manager, because it was not there in the default options.

Interestingly though, I also found that there would have been little point continuing with 17.3 on my new hardware if I had tried it back when I was setting up with new computer. It boots into software rendering mode, it cannot use my new video card properly anymore. The 3.19 kernel is uses can't support my hardware. I also could not get updates to work (I was interested to see what new updates 17.3 was still getting at this point). It comes as no surprise it was having trouble contacting servers and getting errors - 17.3 uses a much older Ubuntu package base.

I absolutely love Clem's advice of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I was really glad to stick with 17.3 up until the end of 2017 because everything about my PC was still working great. I guess the time has come where 17.3 is definitely broken (for me!!!) and time to be fixed. It would have been an easy decision to realize it's time to move to the latest version of Mint and easily solve all these problems

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”