Any way to change the mouse pointer / cursor into a crosshair, circle, square or a big dot?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AsusSucks

Any way to change the mouse pointer / cursor into a crosshair, circle, square or a big dot?

Post by AsusSucks »

Is it possible to edit something in a simple way in linux mint 19 xfce and achieve a shape like that?
If not, does anyone know a mouse theme that transforms a cursor into something like that? Could not find one on gnome look.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Any way to change the mouse pointer / cursor into a crosshair, circle, square or a big dot?

Post by gm10 »

Existing cursor themes are in /usr/share/icons, you can modify them or use them as a template to create your own. Or look through existing themes, there's likely one that fits your preferences. A few can be found in Software Manager but for more choice see e.g. https://www.opendesktop.org/browse/cat/107/order/latest
AsusSucks

Re: Any way to change the mouse pointer / cursor into a crosshair, circle, square or a big dot?

Post by AsusSucks »

How do I find " /usr/share/icons " and how can I modify them or use them as a template to create my own?

From that site, let's say I want to install https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1244666/
How do i do that step by step?

On widnows, it is risky to download cursors because of viruses etc. How to deal with that here? How safe is it to download that theme?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Say you downloaded that theme to your Downloads folder, then in a terminal window you can extract it like this:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.icons
tar xvzf ~/Downloads/Dot-Transparent.tar.gz -C ~/.icons
You can also do it via the GUI, of course.

And you should always be careful with everything you download.
AsusSucks

Post by AsusSucks »

Is there a simple way to change the default cursor into a circle with out downloading that theme then? If yes, then how to do it?
That is the only way i see to be careful about it. Do not know how to check if that file is safe to download/install.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I checked for you and that set looks perfectly fine, as no doubt most if not all of them are. Just be careful when installation instructions ask you to run a script or something like that. Just extract those archives manually into ~/.icons and you're good - if any of the sets don't work without having to run a script just delete it.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”